Question regarding medication

Sorry for posting a lot lately,but this is important to me.My psychiatrist did ask me if I would mind going back on meds,because he thinks my issue isn’t that serious,although I am also having issue that’s why I go back to see him.He prescribed me Olazanpine 5mg taken daily,but recently I don’t feel like taking it daily,because after I take the medication I wanted to fall asleep.I come back from work and have some time for after work life,but if I take the medicine,I cannot stay up late…is it possible to take the medicine one day,and skip another and then take it the day after?

You have to be pretty consistent with them to work.

Olanzapine is not my first choice of AP because of what you say. It makes me too tired as well.

1 Like

Some article was posted about such dosing and the benefits of it. I suspect not enough is known. I dont know whether you will get withdrawals inbetween or break through symptoms. Discuss it with the pdoc.

1 Like

The issue can become very serious if the voices gain steam. And skipping days is one way to allow that to happen. I remember when the voices started returning after I was put on a low dose of seroquel after being on Invega/risperdal for almost two decades and on Latuda for a few months. At first the voices were very manageable. But two months later I was hurting and in the Psych Hospital.

1 Like

I’ve been taking 10 milligrams a day of Olanzapine for 23 years. I’ve been on it since it hit the market. 5 milligrams is a very low dose. You’ll get use to it over time. I’ve heard of people taking 40 milligrams a day.

I use to work 12 hour shifts a day 6 days a week taking Olanzapine. I’d come home and go straight to bed.

I always take it at night 2 hours before I want to go to sleep. Olanzapine reaches max effect 6 hours after you take it.

I tried taking it in the mornings but it makes me too tired. It just makes me tired and miserable. It’s best to take it at night.

I skip a dose here or there but I don’t like to. I have a hard time falling a sleep without it. If I skip a dose the next day it hits me twice as hard.

If you take it regularly you will get use to it.

I drink coffee in the morning to fight the effects. I wake up in a fog from the medication.

1 Like

I made an error and ended up with a partial statement in what I already put out there.

1 Like

I think it’s best to take your meds as prescribed by your pdoc. I know it makes you tired. My meds make me tired too. But those are the breaks I guess. I can’t work so that makes a difference. I can’t imagine how tired you must be.

1 Like

I think I need to wake up at 9:20 latest.It’s not very early,but I am very used to sleeping late

1 Like