Question if you really need Conduct Disorder to have Antisocial Personality Disorder

Do you really need Conduct Disorder to have Antisocial Personality Disorder?

I think that you can develop Antisocial Personality Disorder without Conduct Disorder, if you were in a bad environment or had neurogenic or mental disorder that has the same symptoms as Antisocial Personality Disorder.

1 Like

This is a great question for your pdoc or therapist

2 Likes

I don’t think so.

Conduct disorder is a diagnosis commonly given to adolescents who can’t be diagnosed as having antisocial personality due to their age, but doesn’t conclusively mean one does or does not have an antisocial personality.

I don’t think the two are mutually exclusive, but psychiatrists do tend to link them.

My psychiatrist when I was 16 brought conduct disorder up, which I never agreed with. For me, I felt they were using this term bc I was a normal rebellious teen. Didn’t seem fair at all. Really felt like my mother was paying to be told its my fault she’s a sht mother, and the paid psychiatrist played along. I was never officially diagnosed, thankfully.

3 Likes

That makes sense.

2 Likes

It’s not that you need to have had the formal diagnosis of CD, it’s whether you exhibited the behaviour necessary for the diagnosis of CD.

It’s to establish a long-term pattern of behaviour in an ASPD diagnosis

1 Like

That makes sense.

1 Like

There was this prick in highschool who had a conduct disorder. Gave him an elbow to the nose.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.