Question for those that have quit smoking for longer than a couple months

Hey guys, I’ve quit smoking and nicotine now for 7 weeks. The urges have pretty much disappeared at this point. I do however notice sometimes my ego gets a bit wound up and I don’t feel like I have a good release valve anymore. I really don’t want to go back to nicotine but I’m wondering if this problem will go away in a few months or whether there’s something more I could be doing like exercise (I don’t exercise much at all) to remedy the problem. I’m not eating too much as to get fat which is a good thing. How do you guys that have quit relax? ground? reset? yourselves? Or do I just need to wait a little longer on the quitting smoking front and the problem will fix itself?

2 Likes

It will go away eventually. The idea of smoking just seems pretty stupid to me now, it is expensive, makes you stink and kills something like 1 in 3 smokers. You only enjoy it because your addicted. Exercise probably would help you get it out of your system but I never did that. 7 weeks is pretty good most people I know give up after like a week.

2 Likes

Yeah I tend to think it will go away over time, my neuro-chemistry is still a little messed up from quitting. I don’t remember having this problem years ago when I didn’t smoke and don’t hear of non smokers complaining about it so it’s probably just a temporary problem that will go away.

I’ll have something to eat or drink instead, i think its ok to reward yourself but dont replace one habit with another (bc a lot of people sometimes fall into that trap) you could plan ahead when you save money and do something with that,

I think i started biting my lips when i stopped smoking (which is a coping technique) but i dont encourage this bc it can damage your mouth and i am still trying to kick that habit now too, i clench a little as well.

Replace negative behavior with good is the way to go. Exercise is a good outlet. It helps your health and it’s something positive you can do.

It does get easier. I’m almost 10 years without. I don’t get urges and I can hang around smokers and not even want one anymore! Hang in there!

1 Like

Like @mrhappy posted: www.yourlifeyourvoice.org/Pages/tip-99-coping-skills.aspx#

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.