Question about weight gain from meds

Both. Meds made/make me hungrier, and also lower metabolism and are known to cause weight gain, raise cholesterol etc.

@AccreditedPsych - I don’t know if it dangerous but it definitely means I have hemorrhoids. I went to the doctor about it and he gave me a cream which has been helping but I know that all these health problems are being caused my the medications that I’m taking so I just try to deal with it.

I’ve gained 30kg. I don’t eat much and I exercise every day.

I’m not hungry but the weight piled on. I DO NOT believe that all antipsychotic weight gain is from increased hunger, it’s a metabolic shutdown.

I tried diet shakes and working out more, nothing changed.

I gained 30kg despite not eating more or exercising less. Makes me super mad.

2 Likes

Have you heard about anal fissures? If you have pain when you go number two and get blood on the toilet paper that is most likely the case. It’s like having a wound on your anus.
Because I don’t think hemorrhoids bleed. And I don’t think there are any effective creams for hemorrhoids. And a cream is the first line of treatment for anal fissures

@AccreditedPsych - I wasn’t getting blood on the toilet paper but in my stool. I started using the cream and it went away. I recently went to bathroom and became sore down there for a few days. But I have hemorrhoids according to the doctor that checked me out.

1 Like

@Schizophrenic, Hemorrhoids certainly do bleed. I am a former RN. Anti psychotics and other types of psychiatric medications can cause constipation, which can lead to straining at toilet, which can lead to hemorrhoids, and therefore, blood in the stool.
Have you tried Melatonin for sleep? That’s what I take. I take 6 mg three hours before bed time. Seems to work for me. You can get it over the counter. I would take anywhere from 5- 6 mg. Try it out or ask your pdoc about it.

I have hemorrhoids too. Preparation h the cream works great.

1 Like

@JustTrish this sounds crazy, but I threw up for a year straight until I got off risperidone after having a can of beer. It became normal for me. Every time I was in a restaurant or ate more than a handful of stuff, I couldn’t keep it down. My pdoc prescribed phenergan but that only helped a little

I guess I’m not alone. Thanks

1 Like

No problem! Sorry you have to deal with that, when I switched to just haldol it went away. I know you said your on a prn haldol. When I got off risperidone, and switched to haldol I no longer struggled with the nausea. I took cogentin with that I think 1mg, and that dried my mouth so much and I not to be disgusting but I always had mucus in the back of my throat especially when I woke up. It was gross

1 Like