Question about delusions

Truer words have never been spoken! I’ve found that I have crossed the point of no return now though & notice no difference in myself regardless of if I indulge in or distract myself from certain notions.

1 Like

Yeah, reading David Icke in my teens was definitely a huge trigger for years of alien delusions, I still get fixated on things I read or see on tv, it can be hard to separate fiction from reality.

2 Likes

Maybe that’s why I can’t seem to be able to watch movies or listen to music anymore. I couldn’t explain it before other than it just made me feel uncomfortable.

2 Likes

It seems that anything and everything can be a trigger, I listened to some music this morning and I still have a specific lyric (which is not very nice) playing constantly through my head, I’m trying to convince myself it’s not going to happen… It’s so easy for an idea to grow out of control and get twisted in our minds, it makes everyday life very difficult.

1 Like

Things get stuck in my head a lot too but not specifically bad things just random things

1 Like

Hey @Melimel I feel for you. I’m not sure if you got sz but rest assured you have some form of MI, so welcome to the club. Next step is to see a dr and maybe get on meds. Maybe you can work thru it with a therapist but see a psychiatrist first. Don’t let your MI go untreated. If the psychiatrist doesn’t prescribe meds definately see a therapist. I’m repeating myself a little but just know you’re ill and you need professional help. I hope you find this comforting. All the best

I’ve seen an ARNP & a therapist & a peer support councilor. The ARNP wants to start me on an SSRI & a med for anxiety on August 3rd. Hopefully I’ll see improvements. I’ve been seeing them for awhile but they wanted to wait at least 3 months to make sure all the marijuana was out of my system before they prescribed me anything. On August 14th it’ll have been 3 months that I’ve been dealing with this & so far things have gotten worse not better.

@Melimel Can you help me understand what an ARNP is? It sounds like a fancy nurse. Don’t they have actual psychiatrists available to see? I’ve had a psychiatrist in his 60s say he was not qualified to deal with mixed states bipolar. I don’t understand how nurses can be qualified to handle complex psychological issues

It is a fancy nurse, lol. My understanding is the acronym stands for advanced registered nurse practitioner? I think. There are psychiatrists available but thats the place my insurance referred me to. I don’t know how easy itll be to get a referral to an actual psychiatrist. Which is better to see for these types of things anyway, psychiatrists, psychologists, neurologist, neuropsychiatrist? I have no clue

Definitely psychiatrist first. Glad to hear your involved in getting professional help. Anti depressants and anti anxiety combo prescriptions are so generic though. It might be what you need and its a good place to start, but it also might be the beginning of a long journey. If nothing else they should make you feel somewhat better

1 Like

Yeah I feel they are generic too but it’s not like they go to school for all those years & earn their degrees just to hand out anti psychotics to anyone who says “I’m certain that I have schizophrenia” I wish they did though cuz I’m pretty certain. I honestly just wish that they could just switch bodies with me for 5 minutes & experience the world the way that I do & they wouldn’t doubt it either

If you go psychotic and start hearing voices then I’d be worried, or if you have thought broadcast or thought insertion telling you to do bad things for/to yourself, or severe paranoia. If you don’t have them then you have a very weak case of sz if you have it at all and I would be happy about that.

This sounds like a good treatment plan to try. Also, if you haven’t done so already, discuss your health obsession with your ARNP. This might be a symptom of OCD and your ARNP can maybe prescribe an SSRI that can treat both the anxiety and the obsessive thinking.

1 Like

Uhh usually they pop up from “patterns” I notice in my life but things I read can definitely influence and feed them.

They know I’ve become obsessed with thinking i have schizophrenia. They just laugh at me & say no you don’t if you were schizophrenic you wouldn’t know it. I told them that I wanted to harm myself & wanted to go into the hospital but again they just laughed & said no you’re fine you don’t want to hurt yourself you don’t want to be put into a hospital its a bad place with lots of really messed up people. Nobody is taking me seriously!

It seems like the medical professionals are taking you seriously if they’ve come up with a treatment plan. It’s worth trying their proposed treatment plan and see if it helps with your anxiety and obsessive thoughts.

1 Like

I’m going to try it. I have no other options

1 Like

I am the same way. I used to be an avid reader. I’ve got so many books; its an awesome collection. However, I cannot recall something I’ve read without triggering a delusion and I certainly cannot read a new book anymore because the process of just picking one out makes me deluded into thinking the book will be specifically related to my life somehow. And forget TV or movies. The only thing that doesn’t bother me in entertainment anymore is video games. So I’ve found other ways to entertain myself amd mostly its been on how I can take better care of myself. I get my hair done or I get a pedicure, or exercise, discover and eat new healthy foods, and right now talk to others that are like myself to feel more grounded.

yes. I get influenced & make a whole delusion out of a small thing I read or saw…