Python IDE

I know this isn’t the place to ask this but can someone recommend me a Python IDE? I used to use PyCharm but it got corrupted and I can’t get it to work again. I need this for university.

Would anaconda work.

1 Like

I am going to install it it looks good

Try sublime text or visual studio code

2 Likes

I have installed Sublime Text how I wish I had known it before

Vscode is great

1 Like

Vim editor for the win :wink:

2 Likes

You could use atom for projects,
and colab from google its just like Jupiter no system installation needed , mainly for Data Science.

1 Like

It depends on what he wants to do. Colab needs internet connection.

Please share what are the tasks you are trying to do with python…

2 Likes

It’s my first year so nothing so complex later we are going to do machine learning and things like that.

Ah and I am “she” not “he” lol

1 Like

If you are looking into Machine Learning,
CoLab is good, free edition, and yeah you need constant interenet but wont be utilized much,
as they provide few number of hours GPU and TPU usage.
Which is mainly for students and researchers.
Beacuse GPU and TPU are expensive for individuals system.
By the way all the best :+1:

2 Likes

If you care about local runs and privacy from Google, use visual studio code with Jupiter notebook plugin. You basically just run vs code and use it to open your notebooks. That’s the easiest way to do machine learning tasks at hand. Learn to write the algorithms from scratch ahead of time. Good luck

1 Like

Use spyder a very user friendly IDE with integrated debugger very easy to use. Spyder is mostly used for scientific apps. And if you want to test code snippets use Jupyter notebook. You can also test Cython function in jupyter. You can make a decorated script in Jupyter and even use matplot… And you can profile your code with the magic keyword timeit

1 Like

SublimeText is a text editor. One of the best ones. It’s still not an IDE.

At work I only ever used Eclipse for both Java and PHP. Eclipse has a module for Python, but I never used it. I imagine it’s quite functional.

+++ If you are just “taking off” I recommend you stay in the world of text editors and command line tools until you actually need to collaborate. IDEs still use those same basic tools like the compiler, and with modern programming languages, a package manager.

An IDE adds on top of those basic tools static analysis, code coverage and repository and dependency management, documentation generation…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.