PsyPost - Slow to mature, quick to distract: ADHD study finds slower development of connections

BY UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN HEALTH SYSTEM ON SEPTEMBER 15, 2014 MENTAL HEALTH

A peek inside the brains of more than 750 children and teens reveals a key difference in brain architecture between those with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and those without.

Kids and teens with ADHD, a new study finds, lag behind others of the same age in how quickly their brains form connections within, and between, key brain networks.

The result: less-mature connections between a brain network that controls internally-directed thought (such as daydreaming) and networks that allow a person to focus on externally-directed tasks. That lag in connection development may help explain why people with ADHD get easily distracted or struggle to stay focused.

Whatā€™s more, the new findings, and the methods used to make them, may one day allow doctors to use brain scans to diagnose ADHD ā€” and track how well someone responds to treatment. This kind of neuroimaging ā€œbiomarkerā€ doesnā€™t yet exist for ADHD, or any psychiatric condition for that matter.

I think ADHD happens to adults too, but maybe in a different name.

1 Like

Oh manā€¦ :boom:

What an articleā€¦ This feels like it explains a lot.

I know this illness has slowed me down in growing upā€¦ Iā€™m sure the years of drugs have done the sameā€¦

This article explains why I had this feeling long before the other two factors. Wowā€¦ what a thing to ponder.

1 Like

Yes adults have ADHD too however it develops in childhood and gets carried over into adult life. A psychiatrist recently told me that it isnā€™t adult ADHD that itā€™s a childhood condition that needs to be diagnosed based on a lifetime of ADHD symptoms.

That is one thing that I always wonder aboutā€¦ how little talk there is of Adult ADHD.

The kids who have ADHD do grow upā€¦ but it seems like that part never hits the topic table.

1 Like

I have come across articles that untreated ADHD can lead to ODD. The theory fits my son :wink:

http://forum.schizophrenia.com/t/oppositional-defiant-disorder-odd-and-ad-hd/8922?u=barbiebf

I think if left untreated then the behaviours or coping skills developed due to ADHD symptoms can become more ingrained, life-long, behaviours.

Recently I had my hubby go to see a pdoc to be diagnosed with ā€˜Adult ADHDā€™. Yes he has ADHD however he has had it since childhood and it affected his ability to learn. The pdoc didnā€™t diagnose this based solely on current symptoms but by also reviewing and looking into his childhood. It was by seeing the similarities between my hubby and my son while researching ADHD due to my son that I started putting it together.

I am sorry to hear that two of your loved ones are diagnosed with mental disease.
You are a strong woman!

1 Like

:blush: Thank you. There are days when I donā€™t feel very strong.

1 Like