Psychsocial Disempowerment

Hi All,

Wondering what people’s thoughts are on what the cause of psychosis is / can be.

I know that its common knowledge that it can be caused by recreational drugs or even stress in pre-disposed people. But a lot of what I’ve heard from doctors is that I’ve had psychoses because I’m pre-disposed. That’s it. Any attempt to explain environmental triggers on the lead up to my episode(s) is met with distrust in me and my reality, with them suggesting to me that it was all a dellusion.

And they had me convinced at the beginning. But after multiple repeat occurances and a lot of learning, I now believe that the only dellusion that I’ve had during an episode is dellusion of belief. Influenced by - (i) hyper-sensitivity to / hyper-awareness of sub-text. After a lot of reflection I do not think that I have had any type of hallucination (visual, auditory or otherwise).

And on further reflection I believe that each of my episodes have come during periods of my life when I have felt or been disempowered. I’m usually quite empowered in my everyday life (climbing the ladder in the corporate world).

However I believe that every episode that I’ve had had been preceded by:

1. A lapse in my own self-awareness;
  2. Followed by my interactions with others being affected (letting biases visibily get in the way of our interactions, getting frustrated, etc)
  3. Which then spirals (except in cases where the other person is explicit and open to me about it) in to a political situation
  4. Which is followed shortly by the feeling of hyper-awareness, reading sub-text in to what others tell me (some of which I’ve been able to validate, some of which I have not)
  5. Which then spirals in to highly abnormal belief patterns.

As of maybe the 3rd of my 4 episodes, I’ve been able to identify, at the hyper-awareness stage, that I am entering a psychosis and have communicated this to trusted people around me.

Overall, my belief is that the cause of psychoses (at least in my case) is:

1. Psychosocial disempowerment
  2. Filters are Stripped Away
  3. Information Overload combined w/ lack of knowledge about particular aspects of social interaction, communication and information theory and potentially a lower than normal level of self-awareness
  4. Leads to the brain attempting to extrapolate reason for particular information packets
  5. Results in dellusion / jumping to the wrong conclusion (due to lack of knowledge/awareness around all of the new information that is now hitting your frontal lobe)

What are people’s thoughts about this hypothesis?

What Makes The Truth False?.. . … :sleeping:

Big question, sleepoptimistic.

My opinion is that the truth is relative to the wider context.

With most things - that context comprises of environmental inputs and your own stack of beliefs/experiences.

You can validate if something is factual by using the scientific method. Devising a range of experiments to validate a hypothesis (the thing that you think is true). And then carrying them out. Or if you don’t trust your own perception (or others don’t), you could get 3 random people who don’t know each other to do your experiments and give you the results. If they all match - then you’ve validated it as true.

What is More Important, Honest Witnesses. Or!, Paid Witnesses?.

They’re not mutually exclusive. In the context of a court of law it is of upmost importance that the witnesses are honest. Above and beyond anything else (whether they’re being paid is one example).

Witnesses who are paid are expert witnesses. They are more likely to tell the truth (in my opinion) than someone who is not being paid - because they are a professional and it is their job. And if they are dishonest then their repuation (and chance of future work - thus their very survival) is on the line.

What Do You Mean?. Between The Two Different Examples?. Honesty, & Cash?.

Correct. You’ve presented a logical fallacy. They’re both going to be honest.

Any thoughts on what my original post described or what I asked?

Well. It Has Been Said, Money…, Is The Root of All Evil. So There’s Always That… . … :sleeping:

Yeah. Rapists, Pedos and serial killers are in it for the massive salaries that they get.

What Does That Have to Do With Anything?.. . … :sleeping: :black_heart: :sleeping:

I’m saying that you’re incorrect. There is nothing evil about money

Depends on The Individual… . … :sleeping:

Exactly. Not on the money.

Can’t Blame The Skeleton For Death’s Existence. Thus Much is True… . … :sleeping:

It’s a way of coping to hypothesize all kinds of things that caused one or several episodes. To me it is like a stage of recovery to engage in this. A postpsychotic phase people tend to go through. Ultimately, it is something to overcome.

I absolutely agree with you, flybottle. That it is a coping mechanism. And I’ve gotten really hung up on overthinking it before. But I currently believe that I’m past that. Furthermore - I feel as though my capability for abstract thought has greatly increased as a result of these ponderings (well at least the ones after I was hung up on it). And have heard other people tell me the same thing. Anyway, I guess we’ll see.

Thanks so much for reading my post and coming back with a relevant answer.

Knock Knock!.

Who’s There?.

Chuck Norris!.

Chuck Norris Who?.

Chuck Norris, I Already Told You His Last Name… . … :sleeping:

1 Like

Some doctors say it is stress. Others say it is predisposition. It’s that old nature/nurture controversy.

Vulnerabilities

• High sensitivity for various types of sensorial input or external stimuli other than those of the social/nonverbal mammalian kind; this is not so much a quality in itself but a property of the brain that forms an underlying biological cause of wide associative horizon (in particular of the divergent and lateral abilities);
  • Disposition for the “placebo effect” and therefore inclination to form superstitions as one experiences first-hand that they “work”; this is a side-effect of high divergent and lateral ability (one may see associations and connections that are not real through mechanisms like hineininterpretieren ), and makes a person with wide associative horizon vulnerable to magical thinking, and potentially inclined toward the occult as well as toward art or science;
  • Disposition for psychosis; the divergent and lateral abilities, when pushed too far by one’s sensitivity or insufficiently controlled by the intellect, produce false results: Unreal associations and connections form (often paranoid) delusions, overactive flexibility causes (apophenic, pareidolic, motif-background) hallucinations.

Thanks for that, FireMonkey.

The author’s website is interesting. Especially the profile page :slight_smile:

He is very well written. Are you him? Or if not - has he got some relationship to mental illness? i’d be interested in understanding this.