Psychotic Depression - lifelong?

Hi everyone,

My psychiatrist says if she were to diagnose me, it would be psychotic depression. Does anyone know if this is a lifelong condition?

Thanks…

Diagnoses do change for some people. It all depends on how well you manage it and how committed you are to trying everything and keep climbing to where you want to be in functionality/clarity/internal experience.

I assume it is quite similar to schizophrenia with a strong abundance of negative symptoms.

@anon59133895 was one of the users on here with the condition. She might know more about prognosis.

Most people see mental illness as lifelong battles. You fight you gain some ground you level out once your comfortable.

I’m dead set on doing what I can to phase this ■■■■ out and retrieve a normal life, but I know it’s gonna take a long time to iron out all the kinks. I’m still largely just a normal person inside, as I’m sure are too. Remember that and empower it, you don’t have to focus on the illness, it shouldn’t define you.

I am pretty sure that I can get psychotic when depressed, my current DX is bipolar though -

Here is an interesting Wikipedia Article on it

An article from 2004 suggesting close link to schizophrenia. http://psychnews.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/pn.39.12.0390029

dbranch, i have psychotic depression, i wish i was like you, you seem to be fighting everything, i wish i was like that.

My doctors were thinking I had psychotic depression before they settled on a schizo-affective diagnosis. They said even though I scored higher for psychotic depression, I was disabled like someone with schizo-affective disorder. My symptoms are considered borderline schizophrenia.

I don’t suggest you try to anticipate whether depression is a lifelong disorder because the only way you can ever have a final measurement is when you’re done living. What I do suggest, and this may help with your depression, is that you pay attention to living your life Right Now. in the moment, where all life really occurs, has always occurred, and shall always occur.

In life, there are many things on which we can reflect, and if we watch our thinking carefully, we can choose our reflections with greater discretion. Your depression may be fueled by hallucinations and delusions, and I understand that, being as how I have schioaffective disorder myself. I have found that the two things that help the most with these things are the right medications, and precision with language - that is, using words that are not open to wide, poetic interpretations, even in my self-talk. I hope this is helpful to you; it is my endeavor to be helpful.

One other ingredient that is essential is to look at small things and try to find something pleasurable about them. It could be something seemingly silly like taking out the garbage, or doing the laundry, but give it a try, and just see what happens. When I did, I found myself feeling well again because gradually, daily life became tolerable again, and even enjoyable at times.

Yea, we’ve got a bigger fight than many others do, and that’s a fact, but psychiatric conditions are not unbeatable. Hang in there, and live to good effect in the moment of truth, which is always Right Now. Of course, always give thought to the consequences of important actions. We humans have considerable powers of foresight. But reality only resides in the present - it is primary.

Excellent insight within this thread thanks to the posters. If I may add, having a condition is a bit like having the flu. You do not always have the flu but during flu seasons people may ask, “Have you had the flu shot?” or “Have you had the flu yet?” Either way as a person, respect should be maintained for one another as not everyone may know how you feel within yet if you carry on and give what carries you on, then you may find each should can still move forward alongside your mind. In short, there is recovery from whatever illness anyone may say is incurable, but that does not make it insufferable. In less words, it is like denying you were every a baby when you are an adult. Your heart remains beating.

Simplified answer: Psychotic Depression is not a lifelong condition. Though it may come and go throughout your life, it will not be there every second of the week, expand upon that.