Psychosis: age of onset

When I was 6, I was put in an isolation box everyday all day for school. This is where my brain broke and hallucinations began. I had previously thought it was only a thing that happened to me and not something in my blood, but…

My oldest child had a psychotic break at age 9.

So does childhood schizophrenia just run in the family?

On my dad’s side (where I think it may come from) there is no talk of psychosis, but there’s a ton of suicide and a now 70 year old (if still alive) who grew up in an institution.

When were your first symptoms? Have any kids with symptoms?

1 Like

I had delusions as a kid.

1 Like

For me, schizophrenia did not set in until I was 48. But it is a side effect of brain injury, so maybe not typical

2 Likes

Delusion since childhood. Sz at age 27

1 Like

Voices and delusions started when I was 15

1 Like

Voices started around 12-13, first major break at 15. Was diagnosed major depressive disorder with psychotic features, and due to a suicide attempt.

Diagnosed SZA depressive type at 32.

2 Likes

Voices didn’t start until I was 24, but I remember when I was like 5 or 6 I believed I was evil and needed to be punished. That was also my first experience with reality patterns

2 Likes

Did you mean published?

1 Like

Ohhh!! I bet it was autocorrect for “punished”!

1 Like

My voices started when I was 14, they were a lot more mild than what I experience now though and at 14 I got diagnosed with MDD with psychosis originally because at the time I didn’t meet the criteria for schizoaffective like I did when I was 20

1 Like

The voices started at 14 for me, then I became delusional a few months before I turned 16

1 Like

Ahah yeah, stupid autocorrect :sweat_smile:

1 Like

i had hallucinations when i was a kid… it just got worse and worse from then on with a while on meds where it was stagnating until i crashed totally

1 Like

Hmm.

I Was Probably In Some Spiritual Garden Of Recovery Before My Birth.

Trying To Understand Human Nature. And Why Wars Exist.

It Probably Troubled Me & I Couldn’t Take It With My Hopeful Wish For The Future.

That Was Sitting With Me In Those Dreams.

I Still Wonder If My Birth Was The Day Of Onset. . . . . . .

Selah!.

2 Likes

I’ve had paranormal beliefs as a child but it became intense when I hit 17 or so.

I became delusional in my early 20s.

3 Likes

I was late onset…I was prodromal at 32 but became full blown delusional at 35. I’m 58 now…

3 Likes

Some stuff was definitely going on as a child, and early teens
Some normal, some I’m sure more severe
Bullying doesn’t cover it all.
I didn’t want to be like other people and with a rock bottom self esteem, times were hard.

Then drink and drugs for a year each and true break happened aged 17 - 18

2 Likes

It is incredible to me what we have all survived… Let’s Keep On Keepin On

2 Likes

That’s very true :heart:

1 Like

First psychosis age 24. Now 10 years later still ill.

2 Likes