Psychology appt

I’ve started psychology for my constant intrusive thoughts, just had my first appt. Apparently the first 3 or 4 sessions she will just be getting to know me and my history, she had read through my psychiatrists notes on me and knew a little of my life. She asked some questions about my past and I’ve realised I was glossing over the traumatic experiences in my life, saying, yeah this happened but it’s fine, it doesn’t bother me. This is something I do a lot, when family and friends ask me how I am I say I’m great when really I’m far from it. It’s something I’ve always done, an ingrained habit, but if I’m going to get anything from this psychology then I’ll have to learn to open up more. I’m not sure how, and it scares me a little.

Yeah i am that way, too. It’s just easier for me to say i’m fine than to really get into all the reasons i’m not fine. I need to learn to be more open also.

1 Like

A large part of their job at the start is building that rapport with you

1 Like

I’m constantly emo and talking to my family about it so telling the psychologist wasn’t that hard for me. I prefer to tell my psychologist now instead of my family cuz it makes them sad

1 Like

Yes, i share many things with my therapist that i wouldn’t share with my family. I just don’t want to upset them. They worry about me enough.

1 Like

Yeah. When I went to the mental hospital for wanting to commit suicide I told them. However I continued to want to commit suicide for years thereafter and only let my dad know a little bit but didn’t owe up to how strongly I wanted to die. Things are better now but I still have suicidal thoughts just out of habit

2 Likes

Give L-theanine a go. It helped me with my thinking process. Also I think it helped @mermaid1 with intrusive thoughts.

2 Likes

Thank you, I’m open to trying anything that might help. I’ll look into it.

1 Like

I think it’s a defence mechanism. If we don’t admit the truth we can pretend it’s not happening. For me it’s also guilt, I don’t like to burden my friends and family with my crap. Learning to open up will be hard I think.

1 Like

My family are really supportive, yet I rarely open up to them.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.