Psychiatrist and negative symptoms

My pdr is saying that how come I have the energy to know a lot about medicine, the brain and schizophrenia from reading medical articles online and having the energy to post here but I am unable to get out of bed. He doesnt understand.

3 Likes

My pdoc will check for negative symptoms at my next appointment in October 2021 !

2 Likes

Oof, for real? Thats too far!

1 Like

I see my pdr every month but every 2 months lately.

This is ignorant thinking.
Maybe if you explain to him that what you have is brain damage he will understand more.

Dementia patients suffer from negative symptoms as well.

1 Like

My current psychiatrist dismissed my negative symptoms

2 Likes

I told him its the sz but he just says that its my fault. Maybe I should change him. I have an apt with him and the therapist at the same time 3 Dec.

2 Likes

It also comes from the meds.
Risperdal zaps me of my energy.

2 Likes

Yea for me its a bit from the meds but I still had negative symptoms when I stopped meds for 1-2 years. Without meds at least I was able to walk outside everyday though but not more. I abandoned school after a few days. I isolated myself from everyone even my parents.

I’ve gone from about once a week to once a fortnight to once a month to once every 3 months to once every 6 months to once a year… I’m supposedly in remission with some breakthrough psychotic symptoms. Socially I don’t do well. How much is due to the ASD or the severe mental illness is hard to tell . Either way there’s been sod all help for it over the years.

4 Likes

Four years ago I was off my meds and I still had negative symptoms.

2 Likes

Well it’s easy to do things that you still consider easy. Such as laying in bed, reading articles, gaming. All easy things for you still (for now). Maybe you get better maybe worse who knows.

Do you ever try to do one difficult thing a day? Like training yourself to do things you would consider difficult.

Like set 1 task a day that’s outside of your norm.

Don’t let your mindset forever become “I’m brain damaged I can’t do anything anymore”

I spent most of my day in bed today but atleast got up to play guitar (I consider that a bit difficult but fun.) And I made myself lunch (difficult for me)

3 Likes

I can play video games with ppl sometimes. Every other day.

1 Like

Its because of the power of habits. If do some activity daily it becomes so easy and effortless to do it. The reason why interest in some fading is because we do not practise it daily or at least every week, month, year etc. The result is our interest in it fades just like memories. Also think of the habit we making daily and following it daily without fail. Yes not remaining busy during day, think of negative things, not doing productive work etc this following daily and that becomes our interest and this why it feels so hard to do other things. Negative symptoms make us to form bad habits and make us to follow it daily then we think why i feel so uninterested in any, not feel like to do other things etc. We blame our disease for everything but actually disease make us to form and follow bad habits. The fact is this same disease can make and follow good habits too if make an effort. This is why we feel interested to use bed whole day, do nothing etc as these too require effort if we think about it.

I find they sound all sympathetic to it, but literally nothing is done about it.

It’s just is like ‘you have SZ, what do you expect me to do about it when there are no meds’

3 Likes

Habits are tough to keep when there is strong lack of motivation and avolition symptoms though.

I find habits work until I stop making an effort to keep the habit then the habit just disappears.

2 Likes

Yes need to make some effort to keep the habit running but that effort needed is much lower when compared with the effort to do required activities without habit. Habits makes the process easy. On the other hand bad habits make the process much hard this is where the need comes to create good habits.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.