Psych meds- sticking on them isn't totally easy

There’s always that little metaphorical voice saying “Do you really need them?” . It’s a constant fight to hang on to things like my pdoc several years ago saying I was doing better. Perhaps the before and after effects aren’t so great when any psychosis/psychotic thinking is relatively mild. In that situation it may be harder to see that the meds are making a positive difference. My care plan says the depot is to enable me to stay stable . The fear of repercussions keeps me on track despite the little metaphorical voice. I might be ok off meds , but then again I might not. I’m not sure it’s a risk worth taking.

3 Likes

I’ve cut down my meds I’m getting tired and irritated with them.

I’m at 15 mg zyprexa and have come off my mood stabiliser…

3 Likes

I’m in the same boat. I’m not sure if it’s worth reducing or getting off medication. My doctor refused to lower my Vraylar from 4.5 mg to 3 mg. He said I needed it. Should I go find another facility or doctor? I don’t know. He’s pretty good at what he does. I like his personality. That being said, I have not worked or gone to school since falling ill in 2011. I’m now 90-100 lbs overweight. I’m a chronic smoker too. I have stretch marks, wrinkles, and my skin is drying up. My teeth and gums are deteriorating from my behaviors. I don’t brush my teeth regularly. It’s too complicated.

Anywhoo, I just stopped Cymbalta yesterday and I feel like my cognition and emotions has improved. I’m supposed to just quit for a week and then start it back up, but I’m having a change of mind.

Vraylar has kept me mostly sane, out of the hospital, and safe. I went off the deep end a few times with my paranoia and psychosis. I’d say paranoia is one of the worst things a human being can experience. And I’ve experienced a lot of things.

I guess I like Vraylar because it is a dopamaine antagonist/agonist; it increases dopamine when low and lowers it when high. That’s pretty neat if you ask me and is the first med I’ve tried that does that. I notice the difference. I don’t feel like ■■■■ everyday.

That being said, I think I will eventually determine in the near future if medication is right for me.

2 Likes

I think that voices is the worst, just personal opinion.

I think you should stick with the meds, seems like you need them.

Great when they work, huh?

2 Likes

I’m not sure about that , but then I’ve not heard voices like most here. There’s been the rare occasion outside of the functional hallucinations(muffled voices when the toilet flushes)

3 Likes

I think it is relative. I’ve had 10 out of 10 paranoia but no voices except when falling asleep. I was off meds at the time, stressed, and paranoid. Sometimes, voices can be pleasant. My former psychiatrist said my paranoia was a sign of my intelligence. I think she is right.

1 Like

intelligence?

that seems like a strange statement from a pdoc.

But I know there’s lots of smart people on here.

1 Like

Interesting you say that. That’s been the case with me. Then there’s the grey area between pronounced intrusive thoughts and ‘voices’. That was a regular thing before getting on Consta. Random and unconnected stuff in my head unconnected to my main train of thought. Again a night time thing.

2 Likes

Well, I guess it can go both ways. If you have intelligent, complex delusions and paranoia it can be a sign of strong, but broken thinking. IMO, some people have simple delusions and paranoia. Mine were more complex. John Nash had paranoia, was he stupid? No. He wasn’t.

1 Like

I think that John Nash learned to negaviate

through his symptoms whereas most people

will not be willing or able

yeah he was a genius, and strong mind saved him.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.