Prolonged fasting

Yeah ill check it out, i did 36 hours 2 weeks ago but then again maybe its just disorderd eating.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Yes i have read alot about fasting and mental health, a friend of mine has add and uses it to calm his mind. There have also been experiments with fasting to treat schizophrenia.

1 Like

There are physicians who advocate fasting for people with type 2 diabetes.

2 Likes

https://newsinhealth.nih.gov/2019/12/fast-or-not-fast#:~:text=Early%20results%20have%20found%20that,can%20also%20cause%20weight%20loss.

2 Likes

I have tried it. I like it. But I dont feel like I could do it now.

1 Like

I had a delusion that the government was trying to kill me by poisoning the food supply and didnā€™t eat for 16 days. It caused severe starvation ketoacidosis and they had to put me on an IV just to reverse that. They said if I didnā€™t start eating they would put a nasogastric tube in. So I started eating (and taking my meds). It was very dangerous and really screwed upā€¦but I did lose about 20 lbs, altho it was probably mostly muscle.

2 Likes

Yeah ive done it a ton for over 20 years usually just eating all my food in the evening only. It helped me maintain a normal weight on most of the antipsychotics.

2 Likes

I think my bro did a 2 week one looked pretty unhealthy after it. I think hes gotten more reasonable about the fasting for religious reasons stuff.

I fast pretty much everynight when I go to bed. Then i break-fast with some oatmeal or cereals as usual :yum:

1 Like

Yes I do intermittent fasting most of the time. It keeps the weight in check. And Good for the stomach.

1 Like

Wow didnt know that it could be that dangerous, ill stick to intermittent fasting then

Yes this is dangerous it can even lead to coma.

I think that itā€™s a risk with a type of diabetes too when blood sugar Goes out of whack.

1 Like

I have done 2 day fasts mostly, and some 4 days water only fasts.

I want to lost about 20 lbs and I figure if I can pull off a prolonged fast that would be doable

1 Like

You go into refeeding syndrome/starvation stage post 14 days of fasting. And it differs from person to person.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s definitely proof that fasting has psychological benefits but I wonder if it can be used to cure schizophrenia

1 Like

@FreeLunch, what is the most number of days youā€™ve done a water fast for?

I once did 7 days.

That was cos I had just been placed in a hospital to eat until I gain weight. But I was suffering with anorexia so I fasted wen I got out.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve done water fast for like 3 days
Was never anorexic
Fasting is good but i dont understand what anorexics struggle with. I dont want to promotr risky behavior

A week is a long time. Could shock your body if your not ready for it.

Have you seen naked and afraid or any of those wilderness shows?
People usually require some medical attention.

2 Likes

I was at uni, one of my modules was caloric restriction and health span extension in nematodes. Was part of the module. I became obsessed and started restricting extremely.

I looked terrible but I was thinking about what they discovered in nematodes.

Ofcourse, I took it too far, but I didnā€™t see that until later.

Idk what other anorexics could possibly be thinking. I think our image in the mirror is perceived wrong when we are like severely malnourished. Cos I think I thought I looked OK too, eventhough I didnā€™t. I was so carried away in my health span thoughts that I assumed this must be the right look sort of thing.

2 Likes

I havenā€™t. But I remember when David blaine fasted for 40 days. Water fast. In a clear box suspended somewhere in London.

He needed medical attention after, yea

2 Likes