Prognosis vs the individual

I’ve read that people who get sz earlier have a worse prognosis than people who get it later. I’d say on average it’s probably true. But maybe for some individuals getting sz young allowed them to learn how to live with it quicker and that could turn out to be an advantage for them over getting the illness later.

So prognosis is a general forecast. But individual situations I think are a bigger marker than prognosis.

It just happens to be so that your “typical patient” is a certain way. Definitely not meaning “every patient”

1 Like

I read that precocious diagnose is good. A good social development at the time the illness appears is good too. If the person didn’t developte good social skills at the time she got ill, either 20 or 30, the prognosis is worse

2 Likes

I got sza early - in my teens and it disrupted my whole life. But I had a series of good remissions as well. It took well over 10 years to understand my illness. At the moment I’m doing well - in a almost full remission with a low maintenance dose of meds.

1 Like

For the record I got it at a typical time. Around 19 and I’m male.

I probably had mental illness since 13/14, but only got psychosis at 19 :wink:

1 Like

I’m a late-onsetter, so far so good. However, another key element to determine prognosis is the prevalence of negative symptoms: the more negatives relative to positives the worse it is later on. And I have lots of negatives.

2 Likes

I would say this might be true for some. I was diagnosed at 17 although I started to show signs when I was 14. I recovered a lot but some people who were diagnosed at my age could be different.

1 Like

I was a late diagnosis. 38/39. I’m 49 now. So it’s 10 years later.

I don’t know how things would have panned out if I’d been diagnosed sooner. I’ve often thought about it.

Abilify wasn’t released until 2002 when I was 32. So there’s that.

I really don’t know what would be better.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.