Problems with valium, would like to switch to xanax xr

I have tried klonopin and am now on 30 mg of valium per day. It seems to be having little effect. I tried a 1 mg xanax a neighbor had and it had an immediate and long lasting effect of no worries, panic attacks, no crazy running thoughts, relaxation, and feeling like my old self. I have talked to my Dr about it in the past and he told me its addictive, yet so is valium as they’re both benzos. I don’t drink or do drugs, and I see my doctor tomorrow. I’m nervous to ask for it as he said they both do the same thing and I should wean off valium then try a different antianxiety med. Any advice as to what to say? I just want relief not a whole new trial and error thing again.

Gabapentin is very frequently used for Anxiety and has no side effect - as is Cymbalta. Both of these are (or will shortly, for Cymbalta) be going generic - so very cheap.

I’ve tried both of those the gabapentin did absolutely nothing and the cymbalta made me dizzy sweaty and anxious.
I tried xanax and it worked very well, I just would like advice talking to my doctor about switching from one benzo to another. Also, I just said that I am trying to avoid going on and off drugs again. It is hell.

I take xanax because it is short-acting. I am getting into powerlifting and I can’t be under the effects of a benzo while I train. I take 1mg xanax two to three times a day, but usually just twice, once when i wake up and again in the afternoon after going to the gym. Or I take it in the morning and again late afternoon and sometimes again late in the evening if I am staying up late for some reason, usually out with my friends. It works wonders, it has me feeling much less social anxiety, prevents racing thoughts or worrying about everyday things and even keeps my psychotic symptoms down… and it also helps with akathisia caused by my antipsychotic, Geodon. When I started taking xanax, I entered remission, as I was no longer hallucinating or delusional and I also behaved normally, going out in public much more often and not being afraid of psychotic breaks due to anxiety about being in public. I used to get anxious in public and then start hallucinating and deluding. Now I have been on dates, gone shopping, done just about everything without getting anxious and hallucinating people talking about me.

I recommend it, but it is very addictive (withdrawal is very dangerous) and it isnt long lasting, it lasts for a maximum of eight hours, i find.

but I didnt even know there is an extended release form of it. It might be perfect for you

1 Like

If I was you I would just be straight up with your pdoc and let him know you have tried this medicine and it really helped you. Sometimes that’s just what you have to do. The worst he could say is no. Best wishes!

2 Likes

Thanks guys! I’ll let u know how it goes I’m anxious about it but all he can say is no. Which would suck but ill try my hardest!

Yeah let us know what happens!

Ok folks! Just got out of the doctors and I’m pleased to say I am now switching to xanax! But he prescribed me the regular one and not the xr as he wants me to be anxiety and psychotic free quickly and to prescribe the xr he has to jump through many insurance hoops and they may end up not approving it anyway. Don’t know what I was so worried about. Probably just anxiety ramping things up. Let’s hope in the future I can have a social life and go to the store without breaking into a hallucinogenic sweat

2 Likes

That’s so great! Happy to hear you got what you needed. Hope the meds work good for you and you can go out again. :slight_smile: I’m hoping that’s what mine will do for me!

1 Like

So far, my heartrate is down, I’ve began writing again which is my passion, and I see myself in the future going out into the world again without feeling like I’m going to die/hallucinate and or get followed and or I could go on forever as my mind is extremely complex when it comes to “delusions”. I hope you have positive effects from your meds too :slight_smile: its such a wonderful feeling when things work out. I hate trying a billion meds

2 Likes

I am so glad that it’s all working out for you. It is a great feeling when it all works and you can get back into your life.
Congratulations. :thumbsup:

1 Like

Thanks j! After years of thinking nothing could make this gnawing fear go away and trying med after med its such a relief to find a solution. Especially since I struck out with like ten different antipsychotics…except the one that made me lactate EW and have month late periods, I know tmi but it sucked cuz that one worked. Wow, anyway, with the anxiety down, the other symptoms are less invasive. Still there, but I can kind of handle it…for now.

My symptoms are still very much there as well, but they aren’t crippling anymore. I can handle it so far.

1 Like