Private hospital versus public hospital

I have only been to public psychiatric hospital.

Have you been to private public or both and is there a big difference between public and private?

I visited a private psychiatric hospital but was not a patient and it seemed a lot more open and more freedom and this one had many classes to attend and was right by a beach where they let you go to for walks.

1 Like

I have been only to public psychiatric hospital. It’s nice but upstairs it’s chaos. I have been inside of a private hospital and it looked far more better but it was a regular hospital, not psychiatric. I dont know but i think private are better in my opinion

1 Like

In my state they only have one public hospital. It’s in Middletown Connecticut which is pretty far. So I go to private hospitals. They shut down all the other public ones.

2 Likes

Public Hospitals in the United States have a bad reputation. They are generally called “State Hospitals”. The care is worse in the state hospitals than in the private hospitals. There is more abuse in the state hospitals. You should investigate where you plan to put yourself ahead of time.

3 Likes

I have been in both. When I had no insurance and was being involuntarily committed I went to the state hospital. It wasn’t as nice or comfortable, had less therapy and programs, and bad food. When I got on Medicare I was able to go to private hospitals and they are more comfortable and nicer overall. There are many more programs and the food was better, kind of. I guess it really depends on where you go.

1 Like

I’ve been hospitalized around twenty times. One was at a private psychiatric hospital in Dallas, Texas. They fed us really well. Sometimes we even got lobster. The grounds their were better than the grounds at state hospitals. They even had a swimming pool. I’ve been to a couple of hospitals that I am not really sure if they were public or private. One was semi religious. The food was okay. The other one seemed too well run to be a state hospital. Most of the state hospitals I’ve been in were a little drab. They weren’t bad places to be, but the were by no means plush.

1 Like

i used to be private…but im glad I changed to public…I get much better after care…I have a cpn (community psych nurse) whi visits me weekly and I see a psychologist for free

1 Like

I’ve only been to private hospitals, but even they vary. I’ve been to a really bad private hospital, and a really good private hospital, with plenty of hospitals in between.

2 Likes

I’ve only been to private hospitals.
Public hospitals or “state hospitals” as they are called are usually horrible places to go to.

But the last private hospital where I stayed was overall a horrible experience.

If I can help it I’m not going back there again.

2 Likes

Is that CVH?

I used to volunteer there.

2 Likes

Private is better. I’ve had issues with both in parallel universes lol. I think public is okay sometimes but the one I went to smelled and was dirtier. The people were rougher, mostly. Public is more affordable.

I think I prefer private most times. My worst experiences was in a private hospital in alternative realities, unfortunately.

No one understands or believes me.

1 Like

Been to two private hospitals and three public ones

Private ones were lovely and luxurious like hotel with pills but expensive!

Public ones were ok too, had adequate food and beds and the staff were ok too. No complaints and much more affordable but mostly have less activities so got bored a lot.

1 Like

I currently go to a public psychiatrist and he is pretty good. He has limited bedside manner but I save money and he put me on Vraylar, which is working great for me. I also got NMS at a private hospital from being overmedicated. I almost died.

1 Like

Yeah that’s the one

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.