Preventing psychosis: no intervention is better than the rest

2 Likes

i tried to read it but i couldnt focus and lost interest :frowning: a brief run down would be great x

1 Like

So if I read it right, the studies were bias (Medicine industry) and they still don’t have a clue what works past a certain time period. This is why I question long-term therapy of all kinds…

1 Like

Basically with the research so far they still don’t know which interventions work better than other interventions.

Personally I’d have thought antipsychotics alone or antipsychotics + therapy would have worked best. However I guess with the latter they’d be thinking antipsychotics + a specific therapy.

They don’t know what works past a certain time frame apparently because the trials are too short.

Although CHR-P individuals typically developed psychosis within two years (Fusar-Poli et al., 2016), the study could only examine evidence of transition to psychosis at 6-month and 12-month follow-ups. This may explain why these preventive interventions did not appear to differ in efficacy, diminishing the validity of their conclusion.

It seems like the trial designs on these are not great.

You’d think by now they would have had time to make better trial designs.

Yeah. I can see the difficulty with comparing different therapies, but it shouldn’t be that hard to compare medications or supplements. I think some of them are alright, but this was a meta analysis so they’re looking at a lot of studies.

The other possibility of course is that both the active and comparator therapies just have similar merit. I don’t think there’s many early psychosis studies anymore where they have one group that gets nothing.

Maybe because there are ethical concerns about leaving people without treatment once a diagnosis of psychotic symptoms has been established.

I would think so. Plus who would agree to be in such a study? They can compare the two groups against historic averages of how many people convert from the ultra high risk, I think that’s around 30%.

i’d have thought prevention would be the best type of intervention if that makes sense, education.

Given the complexity of the illness and its causes that would not be an easy thing to do. Accounting for all the possible variables would be difficult.

However you could make parents aware of the most likely risk factors thus hopefully reducing the risk of any children developing schizophrenia , and give advice on what to do avoid/minimise those risk facctors.

1 Like