Pretty rough work day

I work in assisted living. Not too long ago we had a resident get sent to the hospital, found out he had terminal lung cancer. He came back yesterday and was on hospice. He just passed away this morning. And my anxiety has been kicking my ass today, I just dont have the energy to fight it. Currently on my lunch break and still have quite a bit of the work day after this.

2 Likes

I’m really sorry. It is hard to have to see someone die. Sorry I didn’t see this earlier. Does your work have anything set up for employees to talk about grief? Some places have a free phone line for talking things through short term. The crisis text line can also be good for that. 741-741.

1 Like

Don’t worry about not seeing it. No we don’t have anything like that. On Friday night I went to my boyfriend’s house and just cried while he held me. It helped. I don’t know how long I cried for. When I was done we turned in a show and I fell asleep. He woke me up around midnight so that I could go home.

Yesterday I just slept. I got out of work, went home, watched a new episode of my favorite show then fell asleep. Woke up for supper, went back to sleep, woke up when my boyfriend got off work, he came over for 30-45 min, he left and then I went to bed for the night.

Today I’m gonna try to be productive. Try to organize my room some. Start getting clothes together cause I’m gonna be house sitting for my friend for just over a week soon. So I want to make sure I have everything I need. I know I probably wont get very far with these things but I can try.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry you are going through this. @Ninjastar has a list of things to do to help during a panic attack etc. maybe try those when you’re feeling overwhelmed. Also, do you have family or friends? It might be a good time to reach out and get some emotional support

1 Like

My mom and aunt work at the same place as me. We’ve all just kind of been here for each other. None of us are really talkers so it’s more of a if you need anything let me know and I’ll give you a hug when you need it.

I have gotten a lot better with my anxiety. A lot of times I can identify the warning signs of a panic attack and manage to calm myself enough that my anxiety doesnt turn into panic. Some days are harder than others to manage my anxiety. Especially when I’m already emotionally drained.

My boyfriend has been helping me a lot. I know I can always call or text if I need anything. He puts up with my variety of emotions with an almost impossible amount of patience. Yesterday I was just drained and tired and crabby and I got a little crabby and snippy at him and he didnt once get irritated or snippy back. Instead he hugged me and asked what he should do to help me. Hes really good at that, just being patient with me.

3 Likes

Wow! Your boyfriend is a great guy! My husband is like that. It’s nice to be able to get support from loved ones. It makes all the difference in the world

3 Likes

He is a great guy. Much too good for me, he spoils me a lot too. I always tell him he doesnt need to spoil me and do things for me. That being said I do like being spoiled. Hes definitely a keeper. Hes kind and like I said has an impossible amount of patience. He actually listens and is willing to compromise when we argue. He also calls me out when I’m being ridiculous or when theres an issue that I should work on. But he doesnt do it in a way that belittles me. Hes patient and knows that even if it seems like I havent made any progress that I’m still trying. He doesnt get defensive when I point something out that he could work on too. He knows about my past and my illness and doesnt get freaked out by it. He actually makes a point to understand my past and to know what he can do in the present to help me with my mental health as much as he can. Hes amazing and I’m awestruck by the fact that I was the one that managed to get hi.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.