Prescribed my first PRN

I don’t know the rules. How often should I take it? Only at night? What’s too much?

1 Like

Follow the instructions on the bottle. Most are every 4 hours. We can’t tell you how to take a med, call your pharmacy for info that is specifically for your prescription.

2 Likes

My pdoc always told me how many times a day I could take my PRN, and how long to wait between doses. I used to take Ativan PRN. I could take up to 3 a day, but had to wait at least 4-5 hours between doses.

2 Likes

What med were you prescribed if you don’t mind disclosing it?

1 Like

I never understood as needed drugs. I get my script filled every month and they don’t give me a problem taking it every day. My therapist gives me a problem if I don’t take it every day. So PRN terminology is confusing. Don’t even know what PRN stands for lol

1 Like

It stands for pro re nata, latin for as the situation demands. As needed.

5 Likes

Take PRN sparingly. I don’t know what it is but if they’re sleepers or benzos their effects can easily be compromised from using them too much.

1 Like

What’s the name of your med?

1 Like

Lol - i never knew that, i always thought it was Per Registered Nurse for some reason.

2 Likes

I used to know a lot of the abbreviations because I was a nurse aide. We had to read treatment plans. Npo is nothing per oral or nothing by mouth. Search brought up latin nii per os…

2 Likes

@nfy and @aliali
Hydroxyzine

1 Like

Thank you @anon4362788, @Dreamer, and @Joker.

Its a good med, has opium like effects but isn’t addictive,

1 Like

Okay. Thank you @aliali.

1 Like

I just looked up hydroxyzine. It’s an antihistamine. I wonder if it’s just like taking a benedryl or if it’s stronger or weaker

1 Like

I’m not sure. I’ll look it up and compare to two. Thanks!

1 Like

I take 2, 50mg tabs, 4x day
I recommend drinking a lot of water. It dries you out.

1 Like

It is basically a stronger Benadryl

1 Like

Thanks @Pinkbarbie23!

Um, Friend, I take 50 at night and I slept 15.5 hours the first night and 13.5 hours the next! It’s amazing how these different meds affect us! Does it make you sleepy?