Prescribed depakote and other meds while i was at the hospital, any experiences?

have any of you been on depakote? if so, what is your opinion of it?

I got home from the hospital the other day after being there for 9 days, I have schizoaffective with mixed bipolar and extreme suicidal thoughts were too intense.

I’ve been on lithium twice in the past but it made me very sick so i stopped taking it and had bad withdrawal. I hadn’t been on a mood stabilizer since then so im kinda weary about depakote but i haven’t had any side effects.

He also prescribed me wellbutrin (which i have been on before as well) and prazosin for nightmares. My cocktail is very intense now because of this hospital stay. I’m on: clozapine, valium, vyvanse, wellbutrin, depakote, prazosin and gapapentin

1 Like

Good luck with the Depakote, I’ve been on Depakote for years and it’s an excellent anticonvulsant mood stabilizer.
The only thing with Depakote is it causes major weight gain over the 1000mg dose mark.
It mainly causes weight gain by increasing your appetite.
It also causes sedation especially over 1000mg.
I’m drained on Depakote but it’s the only medication that controls my rapid mood shifts.

It’s an excellent med against mania and depression.
It’s especially effective against mixed states.

2 Likes

thank you very much for your insight. I also have BPD…the doctor said the depakote should help with my urge and impulse to self harm

2 Likes

Your welcome @arrgghh.
Depakote and Risperdal both do a good job of keeping me out of the hospital.

I’ve been on all of the mood stabilizers and Depakote is the most effective by far.

1 Like

I’ve been on Depakote for 7-8 years. It was a game changer for me. I’m bipolar with mixed episodes. I gained weight but it was so worth it to me because I was miserable and it’s really helped me. Also, my hair thinned out the first year I was on Depakote. It has stopped thinning though. I hope it helps you too! Wishing you the best!

1 Like