Potassium, good for both mental illness and weight loss?

I had forgotten about this substance, but I recently came to think about taking it because I have gained quite a lot of weight the recent years. Potassium counterbalances sodium(salt). So if you eat a lot of salt and get too little potassium you might be setting yourself up for weight gain. Actually it is recommended we get just below 4grams of potassium a day in our diet as a adult. That’s more than the daily recommendation of salt.

It is also supposed to be good for better mental health, especially if you have a psychiatric disorder.

The thing about potassium though is that the medical profession has considered it dangerous to supplement with it. You can only get supplements that deliver 3-4% of your daily need per capsule. However it is easy to get it from food. Some foods that are high in potassium are bananas, white beans, salmon and potatoes.

1 Like

My dad ate a banana a day and his potassium was way too high, the doctor told him to stop eating bananas. Too much potassium can cause heart arrhythmias and my dad has stage 4 heart disease.

1 Like

Yes, it might be a good idea to get a test done by a doctor before considering, but they only red flag you if you are extremely low or high on something. If you are borderline deficient or borderline taking too much they will just tell you that everything is normal I have been told.

Anyways good point. If anyone has heartproblem they should be particulary cautious about potassium and sodium.

1 Like