Possibly going to teach guitar to my nephew's son

My nephew is a big burly oil field worker and he finally reunited with me since after he’s been back from Afghanistan. I told him he was a hero for doing what he did for his country. I meant to try and soothe him because he showed shame for doing what he did. I think I made him feel better. We just talked about heavy metal mostly and we traded licks on the guitar. I played “sanitarium” by Metallica and he played some Ozzy and different songs that were pretty nailed down metal. I was proud of him. He asked me if since I have all this time on my hands if I would teach his 9 year old son. I consider it an honor to help Josh. He is a great guy and I am best friend’s with his dad, My brother. I am excited !!

7 Likes

Huge congratulations… very cool. Glad you get to do this. Being a positive part of a kids life… it’s a grate joy.

I’m beginning think the best feeling in the world is reconnecting with family. Having people come back into our lives… that is what makes me feel like I’ve been healing.

2 Likes

It’s true. It is a real change that now to be able to speak to my nephew again after since when I saw him last he was about 10 or 11, then last year at my brother’s house for thanksgiving. He is keen witted.

1 Like

That’s great you are going to do that! It feels really good when you can teach someone a skill you have. I’m impressed you can play Sanitarium. I play guitar and bass but I’m not too good at playing other band’s songs. I usually do my own thing or write my own music. My favorite thing to do is put on a blues jam track and play along with it. Make the guitar cry. It’s better than any drug I’ve ever done. Good luck with your new student! :sun_with_face:

2 Likes

wow, I bet you can really rip up the neck !! if you like to make a guitar cry, try a whawha peddle? that is what I want to do once I get my electric guitar and amp. fun as hell. good for you for being such a musician !! we have other musicians on this forum as well.

Sounds awesome @jukebox - I love playing guitar, but am not good enough to teach others

1 Like

In my best Yoda voice…" hmmm…try not…DO".

Sounds like a great thing to do, jukebox. It will benefit both of you. My ex-brother-in-law used to pay me to watch my 12 year old nephew for four days a week. Unfortunately he was a difficult kid. I did my best, I’m not perfect myself but he used to push me to my limit. It ended badly. But it payed good!!!

I have the feeling his 9 year old is very obedient. Josh and his dad are both kind of strict parents. I gave Josh my R2D2 action figure to give to his children. A boy and a girl. Josh said his son will probably put it on his shelf. Made me feel good to help Josh. He’s had a hard row to hoe.

1 Like

**Teach him right @jukebox! What fun! :smile: **

1 Like