Positive psychiatry: Its time has come

ABSTRACT

Traditionally, psychiatry has been defined and practiced as a branch of medicine focused on the diagnosis and treatment of mental illnesses. Based on growing empirical evidence, we believe that this definition warrants expansion to include the concept of positive psychiatry. In the present article, we provide a critical overview of this emerging field and a select review of relevant scientific literature. Positive psychiatry may be defined as the science and practice of psychiatry that seeks to understand and promote well-being through assessment and interventions involving positive psychosocial characteristics (PPCs) in people who suffer from or are at high risk of developing mental or physical illnesses. It can also benefit nonclinical populations.

http://www.psychiatrist.com/JCP/article/Pages/2015/aheadofprint/14nr09599.aspx

3 Likes

these are the key components:

optimism, courage, work ethic, future-mindedness, interpersonal skills, capacity for pleasure and insight, and social responsibility.

I think that nothing truly good, worthy or positive can be achieved without first having all the traits you don’t like about yourself—negativity, sadness, worthlessness, withdrawn, angry,etc. I think that once you see this in yourself, then you will make positive change somehow. Do you agree?

My last psychiatrist always told me that she was treating my symptoms not my diagnosis - this was a lie.
She basically was treating my diagnosis and placing me on higher doses of antipsychotics and mood stabilizers.

What I like about my current psychiatrist is that she treats my symptoms and adjusts the doses frequently - not keeping me on high doses.
She seems to be confident with herself and is not afraid to adjust my meds based on the severity of my symptoms - sometimes lowering it or raising it - based on how well I am doing or not doing.

She will quickly eliminate a medication if necessary - and is concerned about my physical well being and health.

Many psychiatrists tend to keep their patients on high doses of meds, because they are afraid that the patient will relapse.
My current psychiatrist treats individual symptoms and adjusts accordingly - she will prescribe higher doses only when absolutely necessary - this is what I like about her

3 Likes