Schizophrenia.com

Poor parents

All that i ever hear from anyone who has a child with a disablity is how hard it is on them.

Almost none of the focus is put on the one with the disability.

It’s always me me me, i have it hard, i struggle with this, me me me me me.

Almost no focus at all is put on the one who is doing the suffering.

At this point i think parents, or the parents of earth anyway, could watch their own son or daughter die in a car accident and say “that was so hard for me to go through, but i bravely fought through it, me me me me me me me me me me me me me me.”

I know it’s hard having a kid with a disability, but this ■■■■ is getting rediculous in certain ways. And how many times is it hard on the parents because they don’t get enough wine because of it, or they can’t go shopping as much, perhaps it gets in the way of huge ■■■■■ and/or vaginas?

I hate this place, just give me a button to push and ill wipe this blemish from the face of existence.

Me me me me me me me me me me me me me me Me me me me me me me me me me me me me me Me me me me me me me me me me me me me meMe me me me me me me me me me me me me meMe me me me me me me me me me me me me meMe me me me me me me me me me me me me meMe me me me me me me me me me me me me meMe me me me me me me me me me me me me meMe me me me me me me me me me me me me meMe me me me me me me me me me me me me meMe me me me me me me me me me me me me meMe me me me me me me me me me me me me meMe me me me me me me me me me me me me meMe me me me me me me me me me me me me meMe me me me me me me me me me me me me me

It takes a monumental effort to endure a family member’s mental illness. The constant fear and worry for their safety must be absolutely draining. The vast majority of loved ones are struggling just to hang on, and it wears you down. The feeling of helplessness while you watch your son, daughter, wife, or husband’s life spiraling out of control must be one of the worst feelings one can have.

Don’t think that any expression of frustration or weariness on the part or a loved one supersedes their love or care for the one suffering the illness. Their love and concern is the reason they deal with this horrible situation.

Everyone involved in this terrible illness needs support.

8 Likes

Dude. Not cool.

It’s in our nature to be selfish and any person taking care of a disabled person is giving huge amounts of themselves to another. Let them express their frustration! It is a lot to deal with!

As far as the wine and other inappropriate comments, maybe it’s more along the lines of “I have trouble finding the time to shower” or “I’m afraid every night that when I wake up, my child won’t be alive anymore”.

3 Likes

I love my parents. They have been very supportive. I understand that I have put them under a lot of stress, having to look after me while sick.

Mine are supportive but my dad tries and act like he knows what I’m going through, and what triggers things like voices in my head. We were talking about it yesterday and it was getting my last nerve…saying I’m hearing voices because I’m at home too much, I don’t get out enough. News flash I had voices when I was working a full time job for 3 years. I had voices and hallucinations when I went through college, both the online degree and the associates degree I got for going to the university. In fact it was worse because I was constantly afraid people were talking about me, looking at me, purposely leaving me out of things, working against me instead of with me.

I know he was only trying to be helpful but doesn’t really realize what I go through with Schizophrenia. I guess unless you have it yourself you never fully understand what a person is going through. You never understand what may trigger an episode. I prefer to sit at home because I feel safe and comfortable at home. I know no one is looking at me, I don’t hear people trying to talk about me. I’m sure someone might be discussing me in a conversation but I don’t have to hear it. I can pretend like it’s not happening.

I’ve tried explaining it to them, like when I have so much noise in my head. It’s like when you go into my bathroom and shut the door without turning the light on, there is no window and gets pitch black. But then you hear all three TV’s on different channels, and all three radios playing full blast as well. Or it’s like being in a crowded bar with everyone having different conversations and eating and drinking, and there’s several TV’s playing different sports things. I don’t want him or my mom trying to tell me “You need to do this to get rid of them”…they don’t know. I just want them to understand I’m going through something difficult and I wan them to realize that I have no control over it when it’s happening. I just want them to know…not to try and tell me what to do. Because they can’t.

I think people with disabled children are just trying to vent about the struggle they are going through as a family. They are not trying to say it’s all about me, you are just interpreting it that way. My son has autism. He has needed speech therapy, occupational therapy, IPP’s an fscd contract, a special dentist, a special pediatrician, a behavioural therapist. We have also dealt with five autism agencies on top of this with various programs. I enrolled him in anger management and horse therapy. Yes, he has been through a lot because he had to take the time to go through all these programs in order to get help. He has anxiety issues, digestive issues, and difficulty sleeping. We have had to have many meetings at our house for people to work with him. Now I’m not trying to make this about me, but I am a single parent and this has been a lot for me to go through. For my son, he is doing great. He is happy, has a great sense of humour and loves people. The biggest thing he is dealing with is not his disability it is the fact that people in the world avoid him, ignore him, or tease him because he is different. It is not fair. Also about your wine comment, I would rather do stuff for or with my kid than sit around and drink. I rarely drink at all. I have plenty of free time while my son is at school to sit around and have time to myself. It is just a lot of paperwork and phone calls and meetings to get him the proper help. Dealing with just watching my son is no problem. He is the highlight of my day.