Poll: Would you hire someone with schizophrenia?

If you had your own (small?) business, that you had put everything into, would you hire someone with schizophrenia?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

I don’t know. Maybe if they could function and do the job well, why not. These things are better left unknown.

1 Like

What are better left unknown?

mental illness is better left unknown. Keep it to yourself and close family members. I never tell anyone.

1 Like

Knowing what I know about the illness now, I said Yes, I would hire someone with schizophrenia, if he/she was capable and qualified.

2 Likes

Depends if they’re good at the job. I mean if someone with schizophrenia is better than the competition, then why not? If they’re worse, then why would I hire them? Some people with schizophrenia are just good at certain things. I knew a math professor with schizophrenia. She was a genius. She worked at a prestigious school and went to the best schools. Not many people can say that.

schizophrenics have a full time job already…its called schizophrenia

4 Likes

Id employ a schizophrenic in the health sector for sure…that would be their natural territory.

I hire the people who help me keep my business profitable. That’s my only requirement.

Pixel.

3 Likes

All I care about is that the person is reliable. Doesn’t do recreational drugs and works hard and is teachable. = recipe for profit :slight_smile:

1 Like

Honestly it would depend on the roll.

For a really small business with a lot of owner investment it’s a very hard call, unreliability and the risk of long term time off can be critical to the survival of the business.

A bigger business can carry these loads more easily and should be able to afford to take on some.

2 Likes

If someone came to me and was willing to put in the work… hard working… and able to do the job… why wouldn’t I hire them?

Plus if they were all that… how would I know if they were Sz or not if they didn’t disclose it to me?

1 Like

If they were competent and qualified to do the job. Plenty of people have given me a chance over the last 32 years. Some of them I failed at and at others I excelled.

Odd hypothetical for me, because for starters, I would never be a business owner of any type.

However, my advice given that I live in the U.S. for a person with SZ would be to stay on Gov’t assistance and just rest. Stop worrying about “working”. We all retire someday, you’ve just been thrown into early retirement.

The reason I say this is because often a person with SZ will be experiencing symptoms likened to that of someone with a terminal illness - and let’s face it, it would be beyond inhumane to force a terminally ill person to work.

3 Likes

Yeah… Depends on the sz…

Would I hire myself? Yupppp

My boss doesn’t know I’m schizophrenic. I work as a server and after 4 months I became the managers right hand person, top dog pretty much. Just because I’m schizophrenic doesn’t mean I can’t do I good job at work. There’s no point on limiting yourself just because you’re different.

3 Likes