POLL: would you be more likely to be afraid to reveal that you are bipolar or schizophrenic?

• bipolar
  • schizophrenic

0 voters

Neither honestly

3 Likes

i remember someone saying they would be more afraid to reveal they are bipolar on here, cause i said i was schizoaffective, and usually only reveal the bipolar side of it. i remember being bothered too much by that view, but it looks like i’m with the large majority in thinking schizohprenia is worse to reveal.

The word schizo still has more stigma than bipolar. I prefer general statement like I have ‘mental health issues’

5 Likes

Bipolar. People think you are out of control all the time.

2 Likes

If people suspect you are bipolar, they think you are some kind of monster. I find that sz or sza get more sympathy.

1 Like

Ppl think schizophrenics are criminals or lazy like parasites to society.

1 Like

sz by far. I tell co-workers i’m bp if they pry their noses in my business. mentioning sz evokes nothing good.

1 Like

I think a fair share of people just assume schizophrenics live in a mental hospital

3 Likes

Yea that’s true too. Truth is that the picture they have of schizophrenia is from the news and movies which show them as criminals. Last week a schizophrenic near my city killed 2 ppl and injured 7 with a Katana sword Halloween night, he was disguised as a white ghost with long hair covering his face, I saw the video, it was too scary to watch, I just watched a few seconds. It was all over the medias.

1 Like

its sad that when you tell some normies about sz the first thing their brains to is serial killer, then once you explain that is just unreal stigma and try to explain schizophrenia then their minds jump to demon possessed

4 Likes

My dad thinks evil spirits were attacking me :(((

Man he has some strange unusual ideas.

Maybe one day I should ask him what he means by that.

This person in my parents church once did a 'spiritual assessment of our family ', he apparently can see spiritual world, and if I remember right, I am weak.

4 Likes

Im not afraid to reveal any of my mental illness diagnosis. I went through different phases from being afraid to even think about it around other people, to feeling like I had to tell everyone to prove I was confident and not scared. Now its whatever. If it comes up then fine, and if it doesn’t then thats fine too. I don’t feel like I have to hide it or yell it on the mountain top. Im finding peace in owning my mental health.

The only diagnosis that makes me somewhat slightly uncomfortable when I tell people is my OCD diagnosis, because it is undoubtedly followed up by something like, “Im soooo OCD, I have to fold my towels the right way.” I ask if they have a diagnosis of OCD or if they’re using it as an adjective, there’s usually an awkward silence and we move on.

2 Likes

Man I want someone to do a spiritual assessment on my family… kind of scared of what they’d say though lol

2 Likes

I want someone to do a palm reading. I have so many lines.

Yea I didn’t ask for the spiritual assessment. They did it via a photo I think. Not too sure now.

Would be fun to try out though yeah if you find a spiritual assessmenter
Just to see what they say.

1 Like

Palm reading would be cool too…

This might be a stupid question- but do all churches have someone who can do a spiritual assessment??

1 Like

It’s a good question, one that I don’t know the answer to. My parents church is not a typical church either. It’s like a new movement kind of thing. And this guy in it happens to be able to see spirits, he wasn’t recruited or anything.

I guess you could go to a local church and ask them.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice anyways🙂

1 Like

once enough time passes and they decide to open there mind to the idea of a mental illness they will probably stop thinking its evil spirits

1 Like

You are right… Maybe that is the case.

Tbh I need to speak about this more thoroughly with my dad one time. Cos maybe we are on the same page but Idk exactly wat he means by evil spirits you know wat I mean? But then again me and him could be on completely different pages too and perhaps it will never change either he’s quite difficult to change his mind sometimes about some things.

1 Like