Poll: When switching to a new medication, what were your doctor's reasons for granting the request? Were any of them for insurance related purposes?

Poll: When switching to a new medication, what were your doctor’s reasons for granting the request? Were any of them for insurance related purposes?

1 Like

I have changed due to not being helped by meds, and because of cost. My pdoc listens to me and if increased dosages don’t help, side effects are too severe, or I can’t afford the meds she lets me switch.

2 Likes

I’m slowly transitioning to clozapine because olanzapine and seroquel just aren’t cutting it. It was my doctors idea.

1 Like

its up to my pdoc

she has done a good job of trying to help me

before last year i went 6 years without the hospital

clozaril really helped

now im above highest dosage and depression is killing me

im extremely low so i ve upped all my meds as high as they can go and she said there are no new ones she think will help

so changes are upto her not insurance

When I first saw my current pdoc I was already on Risperidone and Depakote.
She kept me on the same meds except for taking me off of Tegretol and adding Lamictal

2 Likes

My main med which was Invega got changed into risperidone+depakote+quetiapine+trixephenidyl after i relapsed. There was so reasoning, its just general combo of meds when you relapse on atypical APs. Psychiatrist dont usually consult with a patient in the wards in my country. I stopped quetiapine soon after with depakote and trixephinidyl. So im just on haloperidol depot with escitalopram added for depression

1 Like

Both my GP and pdoc has suggested Lurasidone (Latuda).

I wasn’t sure I wanted to try THAT one but I had to get off Olanzapine because of the side effects. Olanzapine did control my psychosis but I hated it. It was my decision to reduce my dosage from 40 mg down as low as I could go, but when I got down to 10mg I ran into mental problems and still had side effects so I agreed to try Lurasidone.

Turned out to be a great decision.

Nothing to do with insurance. Government disability has paid for all the meds I’ve tried. I’m in Ontario, Canada.

1 Like

Yes, I now realize how important it is to work with your doctor.

Unfortunately, I pushed back several times over the years from being required to receive support services, which they used as leverage in not honoring my requests to respect personal autonomy as well as my right to make informed choices about my care.

Now he doesn’t want to switch me to a cheaper oral generic, because he’s concerned about rebound symptoms and insists that they’re covered under all employer health savings accounts here in the U.S. But only the oral form of Invega is covered under such plans.

Do I simply avoid such discussions, backing him into a corner, essentially, when time comes? Or try coming up with more evidence and better arguments to prove to him otherwise?

1 Like

I would stay calm, and present proof that only the oral Invega is covered. Say you want to keep taking it, but also need to be able to afford it so you actually can keep taking it.

I use the most sedating anntipsychotics ever made. It makes me sleep for 5 hours e very morning.

1 Like

What were the reasons you weren’t helped while on this medication? Also, where might you be living, if you don’t mind me asking?

1 Like

I still believe I’m being followed and recorded by navy seals who have hired others to report on me to them. I can’t afford atypical meds mostly, and those I can afford don’t change anything

I’m in the United States

I’m in Michigan. Where are you from?

I’m from Oregon.

1 Like

Now do you believe they only give this drug to those who are dangerous or who possess violent tendencies? I’d hate to think that they might do something like that … but I’m not sure?

Sorry, btw, for my deleted post!

Please see the above reply.

Thanks again!

1 Like

I have no idea. I’ve tried lots of meds and have been unsuccessful with all of them

And which medications might you be on now, if you don’t mind my asking?

1 Like

I’m on haloperidol decanoate now