Poll: Multivitamin?

There is much more in a healthy diet than vitamins, scientists yet don’t know how to replicate every substance you get in food so eating healthy is always important.

1 Like

One multivitamin pill as written on the bottle is harmless and is a good idea if you don’t eat healthy.

1 Like

The problem is I can’t afford to eat a healthy diet, and also I do not know how to cook, so most of my meals are pre-prepared.

I do use the traffic light system, and avoid any red foods that have a lot of saturated fat. Salt I am not so bothered about though because I like it.

Anyways, I can afford bananas and apples for my lunches, and they do a not from concentrate apple and mango juice that I drink 3 litres of a week, as well as 6 apples a week and 6 bananas

My problem is intake of vegetables, as I only get these once a week on a sunday when my mother does a roast dinner.

Meats I only really eat chicken or tuna. Sometimes I will have a burger or sausages, but only very rarely and if the meat content is high

Don’t know how this stacks up as a diet, but I think I have improved it a lot from just eating pop tarts and skittles as snacks throughout the day!

1 Like

You could try to eat more lettuce and salads, maybe with tomatoes and cucumbers, you don’t have to cook just cut them.

1 Like

I can eat cucumber, but the rest of those things I won’t eat.

My diet is very narrow and limited to specific things.

It’s always been like that.

Has taken gradual changes to introduce more fruit.

Maybe I need to cook vegetables on a Wednesday night, as my parents come to me for dinner, and that’s when I put effort into creating a proper meal for three.

Thanks for your input @zeno

2 Likes

I take a multivitamin at the recommendation of my doctor. Mr. Star can always tell if I forgot my vitamin because he says I will act very tired and say things like “I don’t know why I’m so exhausted, I slept fine.”

4 Likes

Fun fact about the history of vitamines. Their name was given because it was once thought that they were vital amines, but that was long ago when people still believe in vitality.
Another fun fact, vitamin C is a drug considered a panacea.

With that said, I don’t take any, although I once did but didn’t have any visible results.

1 Like

i just take vitamine D when my vitamin D gets low like it is now, i take it like once a week.

3 Likes

it’s the 25000UI d-cure vitamin D supplement

2 Likes

good dose, most people go for the 1000s, they barely dent low d

12 hours in the sun gives you 720,000 IU of D3, which gives you an idea of how much D3 people probably evolved to need

(from https://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/food-nutrition/vitamin-supplements/how-much-vitamin-d-from-sun.htm:)

“Under picture-perfect conditions, the human body is able to produce as much as 10,000 IU to 20,000 IU of vitamin D3 in just 30 minutes”

So extrapolate that to 240000-480000 IU in 12 hours. I’ve heard more from another source, but in short we need tons of D3. Huge chunk of the populace gets zero sun now (windows block the UVB that gives you that.)

3 Likes

I take zinc for RLS, dvitamin sometimes.
Eating healthy.

1 Like

The nurse practitioner I was seeing a year ago advised me to take one. He told to find one that didn’t have mega doses of vitamins in it.

1 Like

I take a pregnacare vitamin. If I wasn’t pregnant I wouldn’t take it. I don’t normally take vitamins.

1 Like

I take a gummie centrum over 50+ multivitamin…I can tell it helps me.

2 Likes

I take vegan supplements.

I take vegan b12
Vegan iron
Vegan calcium
Vegan omega 3

2 Likes

Ideally, you should get all your vitamins and minerals from your diet.
If you are on a limited budget and can’t afford healthy food or you dislike vegatables or something and don’t eat them than a multivitamin will give you the vitamins you are missing.

But fresh or frozen or canned vegatables have other benefits besides vitamins. Fiber for example for healthy digestion.

2 Likes

Yeah I think I need to be on a multivitamin because I don’t eat enough fruits and vegetables.
Although on my new diet I’m consuming more veggies and fruits.

5 Likes

Same here @Wave.

2 Likes

I take kelp, b12, d, as capsules. when I can be bothered to.

1 Like

I agree that vitamins and other supplements shouldn’t be regarded as totally risk free or that they can’t produce undesired effects.

I am educated as a healthshop worker so I have experimented with a lot of stuff and found many things that promotes my health. The reason why I started this education in the first place was because the congnitive decline and side-effects from taking ap’s was unbearable, I was spiraling downwards.

I later learned that certain drugs, antipsychotics included, actually has been proven to deplete certain nutritional substances from the body, like for instance b-vitamins and the amino acid carnitine. That is why it is a good idea to supplement, especially if you don’t get your fruit and veggies.

However it is always a good precaution to just start one new supplement at a time and listen to what your body tells you. For instance I am not taking b-vitamin pills because they have a unpleasant effect on my brain. I take nutritional yeast instead which has natural b-vitamins. I have also stumbled across some supplements that I was allergic to and that was downright dangerous for me.

Having said that most supplements have been safe for me. I think the ratio has been something like 95% of supplements have affected me positive, meaning no negative side-effects, and maybe 5% have had unpleasant side-effects. Supplements are also equally about prevention than actual healing. If your body gets good nutrition chances are less of contracting diseases or developing chronic problems.

There are no good substitues for anti-psychotics, but if it’s a choice between taking a anti-depressant or a natural, non-chemical anti-depressant like vitamin-d or eleuthero root or any number of herbs that are anti-depressant, it’s a no brainer. Why would anyone take chemical drugs with a lot of possible side-effects if they don’t have to? And I know the answer for most people is because that’s what my doctor told me to do.

Even the learning facilities for doctors are admitting that doctors are learning way too little about nutrition nowadays and they are trying to expand doctors knowledge about this.

The big problem with natural substances like a herb or a vitamin is that there is no pharamceutical company that stands behind it to guarantee it’s safety. If you get messed up taking a herb there is no one to hold accountable, except mother nature. From one side doctors are afraid to recommend anything that might put them vulnerable for lawsuit. From the other side pharmaceutical companies are paying a lot of doctors “gifts” of money to promote their products. Amounts of 100 000$ or more as a single payment have been registered from a pharmaecutical company to a single doctor. A doctor might actually earn more in gifts from pharmaceutical companies than their own sallary as a doctor.

The conclusion is that both drugs and natural remidies are relevant for health, but because of the mechanism of the capitalistic system and accountability, drugs are mostly favored from doctors and orthodox medicine. The ways to recovery can be many and differs depending on who you ask.

1 Like