Poll: Have you ever met another Schizophrenic and what was your impression of them?

Maybe I should look into this sounds almost ideal

It’s presumably what we mostly call it supported housing in the UK. That’s what Mind and some others call it anyway

1 Like

You have to give them your social security check if you have one. It isn’t free to stay in these places. If you don’t expect too much out of life these places aren’t bad. Also, you’re not held in them. If you’re not court committed you can leave any time you want. Most of the people in these places would be substantially older than you. Friends your age would be hard to find. I handle being in assisted living for the mentally ill by getting into the simple pleasures - going for short walks, getting on my computer, moderate exercise.

I was just thinking uni wise cause I don’t think I’d manage on my own but really want to give it a go

You’re awfully young. I think you can get more out of life than what you get on a social security check. If you don’t mind a simple, plain life these places aren’t bad, but your choice of companionship would be limited. You could probably have more and better relationships outside of assisted living. You could also have more material possessions outside of these places. You have to decide what is best for you. These places aren’t all the same. Quality varies from place to place. You might get in one you don’t like, but you could leave if you had the resources to take care of yourself and you weren’t court committed.

@Lovelybones i thought that too, i was offered supported housing in a nice area a long time ago, i would have had to give up all my money i was getting from benefits and i was told i would only be given a small allowance for food and everything was shared except for a private bedroom with a locked door, there would also have been little bonuses for doing the cleaning and what not,

i seriously considered it but it was just too much money to lose so i thought i’d be better living with my mum and dad until a better opportunity came a long, it would have been really good for me as a sz person but i guess it was just out of my comfort zone, things worked out better now i think though.

when i went there to meet some of the residents one of them said ‘i was hoping for a woman’ 'most of them were guys.

1 Like

Sounds kinda rough I just want something less than like all out by myself but can’t live with parents I’ll definitely look into it anyway