Poll: Functional versus symptomatic recovery

As I understand it and I could be wrong. There’s 2 types of recovery.

1. Functional recovery. This is where you can function well
  2. Symptomatic recovery. This is where you’re more or less free from major symptoms

What category are you ?

• Recovered symptomatically
  • Recovered functionally
  • Both
  • Niether

0 voters

1 Like

I said recovered symptomatically. I’m not recovered functionally because I can’t work or attend school.

2 Likes

Definitely not 'recovered functionally ’ though part of that may be due to the Asperger’s . I went for 'recovered symptomatically ’ as symptoms are very mild and not major .

1 Like

I must recognize my recovery is more functional than symptomatic.

1 Like

Anyway it’s not a 100% recovery. What I mean is that I can cook simple things, I can go to supermarket or to the pharmacy. But I’m not able to work for example.

1 Like

I was always low functioning and high delusions/hallucinations but now I recover a lot I can work and function alright but still have some delusions.

I’d say I’m more functional than I am non symptomatic.

It’s not absolutely be all but it’s good enough for now.

2 Likes

I recovered functionally. As I am ensnared in the normal society.

3 Likes

The criteria I’ve seen for symptomatic recovery are normally pretty strict, and I don’t meet them, but I am definitely functionally recovered.

6 Likes

I voted neither. I’m doing better than I was, but I still have a bunch of positive symptoms, and I don’t function very well at all.

3 Likes

I put recovered symptomatically. I feel like I have had a huge hole blasted into my life. I ruminate a lot and am still not confident at talking to people. I think it might be related to the severity of my illness.

1 Like

I voted both seen Pych last week he thinks iam doing just fine also now on very low dose of AP’s aswell

1 Like

Sorry i meant seen Pysch !

1 Like

Recovered symptomatically because PTSD is ripping my mental health apart right now. Also the physical disability doesn’t help with that.

1 Like

What are those criteria for symptomatic recovery that you’ve seen?

Generally no clinically significant positive symptoms, disorganized symptoms or negative symptoms for a given time period (usually months), and any psychotic symptom is significant. Meaning one hallucination or delusion would be enough to not meet the criteria.

I’m sure there are many less strict definitions as well. But these seem to be the most common ones to me.

1 Like

I think I might not qualify as symptomatically recovered then based on possible negative symptoms ie emotionally flat , not a great deal of ambition/drive, fairly low motivation . It’s not major, but it’s there to some degree. Whether it would be called clinically significant I’m not sure.

1 Like

I function well like a normal person almost. But I have severe symptoms of Anhedonia, depression, PTSD, Other side effects. I don’t know how I’m still living.

2 Likes

I put functionally because I still have symptoms but im able to do things!! Like work and socialize!!

1 Like

I didn’t vote, but I’m barely functionally recovered. Don’t like going out into the world. Symptomatically…no, going through a assortment of symptoms.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.