Poll Do you think your gender identity and sexual orientation are important?

• My gender and orientation matter to me
  • People are important
  • Gender/orientation don’t matter
  • Other, please state

0 voters

1 Like

I’m not all that into having sex anymore because of my arthritis, but I really don’t want to dismiss my gender/orientation that I’ve had all these years.

1 Like

I don’t really care too much about it tbh, I accept people for who they are.

Do know that the younger generation are more militant when it comes to these things.

3 Likes

No I didn’t know. How are they militant?

1 Like

I joined an LGBTQ+ Discord server, and the population is pretty young… The conversations are very consumed by pronouns and sexual orientation etc.

Going to quit it, as I am a bit old to be interacting with the people on there, and I find it hard to engage in the conversation

3 Likes

I see. I was born male and consider myself a guy and not a woman. Sexually and romantically I prefer men, and I have always been this way. I could never be romantically involved with a woman, but I did have sex with one once when I was 19.

1 Like

I love people. Don’t care what their tastes are…More power to you!

2 Likes

Well for being friends I can handle any gender.

1 Like

It matters in that it affects my life a lot of the time. Most of my family disowned me over it so it mattered enough for me to choose my husband and my kids and my happiness over their approval.

But coming up with a specific name or identity isn’t much of a big deal to me. @Joker is right that a lot of younger people want to get so precise with their gender and sexuality. That can be helpful in some aspects, but too often it becomes a source of stress for them. Agonizing over whether they are gay or bi or ace, whether they are trans or gender fluid or just open minded or whatever. Really misses the point of coming out. You are supposed to be stepping out of a box that didn’t fit you. Not stepping into another box that doesn’t fit you and then agonizing over whether you chose the right box.

7 Likes

But I certainly didn’t intend for this to be offensive in any way, and hopefully I haven’t offended anyone too much.

2 Likes

Nah you are good.

2 Likes

I agree your gender affects you. I have low T. It was on the low end of clinically normal anyway.

Once I figured out I was gay when I was 17, I never questioned it.

2 Likes

I used to be so worried about my SO. Like @Ninjastar said it can cause an insane amount of stress.

Now I am totally content to just being me and if people don’t like it they can fly the ■■■■ off.

:rainbow:

3 Likes

I personally struggle to identify with other people , be they male or female. With those ‘are you feminine or masculine’ tests’I tend to get 'feminine. However IRL I’m not overly interested in,or,indeed,very good at what the average man or woman is.

It’s a somewhat complex subject for me as to coming down to a solid answer re gender ID. I’ll invariably plump for ‘male’ on questionnaires/surveys because in a biological/concrete sense I am. Those of you who are younger/more enlightened would,I think, not be so prone to doing so.

I struggle with the whole non binary and other terms for describing one’s gender. Not because I think it’s bad, but because of what I’d dub the ‘Netflix’ effect. An overwhelming variety of ways you can define yourself in the same way Netflix has such a lot of shows to choose from.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing that. I appreciate it. I’m not all that good with the terminology too.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.