Poll: do you like your family

this is really just a test to see if I can do it… Now I get it. Thank you.

• yes
  • no
  • maybe

I mean I like certain family members more than others - and I always am not going to get along with them all of the time, but overall I am going to say Yes I do like my family - I have recently reconnected with most of them

1 Like

My family gave me a lot of support and put up with a lot from me. My mom did a few things I didn’t like, but her treatment of me was mostly positive. My mom and dad are dead now, but my brother and my sister give me support, and I am grateful for it.

2 Likes

Yes I like my family though not everyone in my family likes one another…I feel somewhat responsible for this too as we were all okay with each other until I opened my big mouth seven years ago and broke up my immediate family…can’t put the cat back in the bag though.

1 Like

Wife and kid… LOVE. Her parents… LOVE. Her brother, sorta like. His wife, um, d00d needs to call a divorce lawyer. Nieces… LOVE.

10-96

1 Like

I don’t have any family and I dislike my in-laws. Their in-your-face about religion irks me to no end.

2 Likes

So, you don’t want to talk about Jesus Christ with me today then?

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

10-96

2 Likes

Umm, yeah, how about no? :stuck_out_tongue: They are from the Midwest and they are kind of marooned out there in the middle of nowhere among the cattle and corn. They go to church 5 or 6 times a week. (Not exaggerating.) They are endlessly trying to get me to become an Evangelical. Speaking in tongues, laying-hands-on, and all that jazz. Their hero is the prostitute-loving Jimmy Swaggert.

I did that once, albeit briefly. Ended with a flying tackle by some burly orderlies, an arse full of Haldol, and a day strapped to a bed in the Quiet Room. In addition to the above I’m told I had gotten ahold of a vaccum cleaner from the maintenance closet and was de-cootifying a psych nurse with it. I don’t remember any of this, but it made for some vivid stories when I was allowed back out into the general population. :smiley:

10-96

My family takes care of me and supports me, so yes.

1 Like

I feel trapped. Who else am I going to live with? It beats living on the streets…for now.

1 Like

I like my own family but I don’t like the family where my parents dominate. The family my parents gave me was horrible. Anyways scolding, abusing, value conflicting. No love at all.

1 Like

I like my parents. They weren’t the perfect parents, but that doesn’t mean that they didn’t love me. I have mixed feelings about my sister, though. But I guess that to someone I’m not interested in, I wouldn’t even have any feelings, both negative and positive… meaning that I still care about her.

1 Like

I had a rough relationship with my mother, sometimes rough with my father. Probably partly because I lived with them most of my adult life. Old patterns playing over. I know they wanted well for me. Though my mother also wanted me to get married + move out of her house. I was an extra person there. Though I added good things too.

So I don’t know. I like my two brothers. I don’t get embroiled with them like I did my mother. I never feel like yelling at them.

1 Like

Yes, I love my family…

1 Like

Immediate family and maternal side, yes- paternal side has disowned me, save for my grandma, who doesnt even know I am schizophrenic.

My maternal side is actually pretty awesome. They know about my illness and they are glad to see that I am not a college dropout. If I am having a bad day, they understand and make me a coffee, which usually makes my head clear up to an extent, ect. They know that I obviously struggled to get where I am, in remission and a functioning member of society, a kid who takes honors classes, sits in the front of them and always speaks up in class discussions, has made the dean’s list three out of the four semesters I have completed, is on scholarship, all of that crap. What they see is a healthy and bright young man, just like my cousins, I have several cousins who are also in college and are quite bright. One of them is at William & Mary, which is a really good school. I basically fit in- I have intellectual interests and a ■■■■■■ up past, which is not a first in my family. Alcohol has been a problem for a fair number of my family members, me included.

I think I surprise some of my family with how much I have recovered. I was pretty ■■■■■■ up and it looked permanent at one point. I still dont know how I managed life at that time- probably can thank Thor for making me turn to powerlifting. Every night, I drank and smoked too much, but every day I was productive as a student and exercised. But then I got sick of spending all of the money I got my hands on on liquor and asked my doc for an antipsychotic. He warned me that antipsychotics are not fun but I was an informed consumer, I had just taken some honors psych classes which covered antipsychotics, and I chose Geodon due to its reputation as being less sedating and not causing weight gain.

My immediate family is really cool- my parents are cool with the whole homo thing. I am not completely homo, I am technically bisexual, but my genes are so shitty that they dont want me to have kids so theyre just like “oh you’re dating a guy? good.”

1 Like

I love my family more than anything else. But they also drive me nuts and are a huge stressor source for me. But I’d take a bullet for any or all of them.

1 Like

I don’t like my family but I love them.

1 Like