Poll: do you give blood

just had this conversation with my army uncle, he gives blood every 56 days or something. I thought this was crazy, I don’t give blood. I feel like it weakens me to do so.

• yes
  • no

0 voters

I used to all the time but with my meds they don’t want it

1 Like

I used to, when I was younger. I donated several times. The last time I donated, though, it really messed me up, so I haven’t made a donation since 2003. I was very ill and on a ton of meds at the time.

Last December I tried selling my plasma, and they wouldn’t let me; I was honest with them about my meds and diagnosis.

2 Likes

I used to but I quit because of anemia and the fact that my blood only has partial use for blood banks.

1 Like

I’m not allowed to – bad heart.

1 Like

I gave once and decided never again. It put me in a fog.

1 Like

Not because I didn’t want to, but,
Because I was disqualified for multiple reasons i.e.
Too much time outside the US (15 years)
Tattoos
Psych meds
and suprizingly (for me) underweight (94Lbs- only for a few bad years)

1 Like

One of my doctors told me that if a transfusion of my blood was perhaps given to an infant or child, he or she might experience seizures or other harmful symptoms. I don’t know that it’s true, but he was a doctor.

If I was healthy, I’d give blood. As is, I think I need all the blood I can generate, to heal my brain.

1 Like

It may temporarily weaken you yes. But your body makes more blood and then you’re ok again :slight_smile: That’s also why they offer free juice and cookies and snacks to people who donate to help you feel better & start makin more o those cells

I never used to know people felt so strongly about not giving blood but I’ve had people really express stuff against it. It is a very easy way to save many, many lives.

Weirdly I now live in an area w no blood donation places near me. I checked with the people and the closest is like 40 miles o.O so currently I don’t give blood but it’s just because I have nowhere to give blood

1 Like

I did in the past, but I’m on the “can’t donate” list now. I got a false positive for hepititus because I was taking Haldol at the time. Haldol can do that.

1 Like

I haven’t in awhile, but only because it really hasn’t occurred to me to get out there and do it. I have the universal blood type, which is compatible with any blood type, so I really should donate. Now that I’m thinking about it, I will look up blood drives in my area. This post has inspired me!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.