Schizophrenia.com

Poll: Can you work?

I laughed at you on the telly. Thanks bro

I used to work, but can’t any more. I can’t handle the stress, it activates my symptoms quicker than anything. Secondly I can’t be around large groups of people because I become highly paranoid and agitated, and it takes me a long time to open and feel comfortable around someone. I also can’t focus for long periods of time. I may be able to focus for a few hours here and there, but I couldn’t focus for say 8 hours straight, and when I’m in a setting where I’m expected to more than one thing at time there is no way I am able to focus on my job at hand and it becomes overwhelming and too stressful thus causing my symptoms to peek. I’ve tried working since my last relapse, but it didn’t last longer than a week. Since then I haven’t even bothered looking for work, it’s too depressing. I just work on my writing hoping one day to become a published author.

2 Likes

@walkers I wish you buy another car.
@sohare1981, I wish you will be a published author one day. :smile:

3 Likes

Well I have one book half way written, right now I’m going through editing, and going to try and add a few ideas that popped into my head, that had the potential to be there in the past, but I never developed into before. I figured now would be a good time to do that part before I finished the whole novel and decide then I want to add stuff. I’m also trying to increase my settings make them more descriptive without being too boring, kind of like practicing using my five senses more than I have in the story.

Then I’m also developing the plot of a completely separate second novel. The first one is about dealing with death and spirits, the second dealing aliens. Both science-fiction/horror combined…trying to decide if I want to jump on the zombie craze going around, but I don’t know I find aliens and spirits/demons/Gods/goddess more believable than zombies…I guess that’s why I’m having a hard time creating a plot for that.

1 Like

Good luck with your books!

2 Likes

I have various factors that stop me from working at the moment, my physical shape is bad, I’m in a lot of pain when moving and am out of shape due to that. I’m also just coming out of a serious relapse, I didn’t wind up in hospital thanks to fast work of those around me, but I’m still struggling, im in shock really, telepathy really messed up my head, it’s bearable in content at the moment, but I can’t stand being around more than one person talking without getting very frightened use to it.

However I’m not going to say I cannot work as I don’t know what I’m capable of until I try!

1 Like

I work temp jobs. I have a house payment and two car payments and I’ve been trying to help my daughter thru college. It’s necessary for me to work and also I do better in general.

3 Likes

I clean toilets for a living. …and after so many years of NOT being a part of society and doing my own “thing” that payed my bills and supported my raging alcoholism?..

I am actually proud of the service that I provide to people.

2 Likes

There were long periods of time when I could not, however. It took years to get the meds right and to get the CBT etc down sufficiently… because I was so cognitively – not always physiologically – treatment resistant for so long. My beliefs kept me sick, and… out of work.

1 Like

I am wishing you full recovery and whatever else you wish for!

2 Likes

That’s very nice, Daze. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are very important to society. If it weren’t for you, people would get diseases by the toilets, I mean it. No work is to be ashamed of. I am wishing you good luck. :smiley:

1 Like

I have also cognitive problems…except for all the others…I do CBT this year, hope it helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

CBT is a great place to start up The Path of observation to understanding… and ultimate transcendence of the wrinkles life throws at us. Hurray for you.

1 Like

:slight_smile: (15 characters :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

Some work is better than another, a good boss will make your life easier and healthier as it really reflects on how we think and perceive things around us, a good praise from your boss will certainly make you motivated to put in more efforts and try out your best and be innovative. A bad boss will make you like a clock ticking with seconds until time is over. But in both cases it is far better to be working than not to be. My life has changed entirely since I started, many things were wishes to me now they are given facts and I as well as every body noticed it. I therefore recommend everybody to try to work and I assure you that tasks accomplishment is easy and not miraculous to achieve given that we manage the work relations to the minimum. That’s life is all about get busy get rich or die trying. 50 cent quote.

I’m working half time right now. It’s not easy at all but my job is still manageable to me. I’m helping out clerical work in an small office. I use scissors to cut and make small cards often. It takes focus and coordination that someone without our disability would find it difficult to understand. But I’m getting better and better at cutting. It’s like paper craft. Other part of my work requires a lot of switching attention. Sometimes I need to breathe in and tell myself to try harder.

I have been wanting to work for a few years before I’m doing a half time/full time job. It would be really difficult when I’m still taking abilify. With sulpiride I’m much better now. So do consider an alternative if your drugs give u poor performance. And you need to take small steps to get results. I’m working on the second job introduced by a vocational program. It is much easier than finding a job on my own.

1 Like

Aw thank you, that’s very kind, made my day!

2 Likes

I can’t change medicines, but thank you!

1 Like

You are welcome. :wink:

1 Like