Poll: Can you work?

I laughed at you on the telly. Thanks bro

I used to work, but canā€™t any more. I canā€™t handle the stress, it activates my symptoms quicker than anything. Secondly I canā€™t be around large groups of people because I become highly paranoid and agitated, and it takes me a long time to open and feel comfortable around someone. I also canā€™t focus for long periods of time. I may be able to focus for a few hours here and there, but I couldnā€™t focus for say 8 hours straight, and when Iā€™m in a setting where Iā€™m expected to more than one thing at time there is no way I am able to focus on my job at hand and it becomes overwhelming and too stressful thus causing my symptoms to peek. Iā€™ve tried working since my last relapse, but it didnā€™t last longer than a week. Since then I havenā€™t even bothered looking for work, itā€™s too depressing. I just work on my writing hoping one day to become a published author.

2 Likes

@walkers I wish you buy another car.
@sohare1981, I wish you will be a published author one day. :smile:

3 Likes

Well I have one book half way written, right now Iā€™m going through editing, and going to try and add a few ideas that popped into my head, that had the potential to be there in the past, but I never developed into before. I figured now would be a good time to do that part before I finished the whole novel and decide then I want to add stuff. Iā€™m also trying to increase my settings make them more descriptive without being too boring, kind of like practicing using my five senses more than I have in the story.

Then Iā€™m also developing the plot of a completely separate second novel. The first one is about dealing with death and spirits, the second dealing aliens. Both science-fiction/horror combinedā€¦trying to decide if I want to jump on the zombie craze going around, but I donā€™t know I find aliens and spirits/demons/Gods/goddess more believable than zombiesā€¦I guess thatā€™s why Iā€™m having a hard time creating a plot for that.

1 Like

Good luck with your books!

2 Likes

I have various factors that stop me from working at the moment, my physical shape is bad, Iā€™m in a lot of pain when moving and am out of shape due to that. Iā€™m also just coming out of a serious relapse, I didnā€™t wind up in hospital thanks to fast work of those around me, but Iā€™m still struggling, im in shock really, telepathy really messed up my head, itā€™s bearable in content at the moment, but I canā€™t stand being around more than one person talking without getting very frightened use to it.

However Iā€™m not going to say I cannot work as I donā€™t know what Iā€™m capable of until I try!

1 Like

I work temp jobs. I have a house payment and two car payments and Iā€™ve been trying to help my daughter thru college. Itā€™s necessary for me to work and also I do better in general.

3 Likes

I clean toilets for a living. ā€¦and after so many years of NOT being a part of society and doing my own ā€œthingā€ that payed my bills and supported my raging alcoholism?..

I am actually proud of the service that I provide to people.

2 Likes

There were long periods of time when I could not, however. It took years to get the meds right and to get the CBT etc down sufficientlyā€¦ because I was so cognitively ā€“ not always physiologically ā€“ treatment resistant for so long. My beliefs kept me sick, andā€¦ out of work.

1 Like

I am wishing you full recovery and whatever else you wish for!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s very nice, Daze. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are very important to society. If it werenā€™t for you, people would get diseases by the toilets, I mean it. No work is to be ashamed of. I am wishing you good luck. :smiley:

1 Like

I have also cognitive problemsā€¦except for all the othersā€¦I do CBT this year, hope it helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

CBT is a great place to start up The Path of observation to understandingā€¦ and ultimate transcendence of the wrinkles life throws at us. Hurray for you.

1 Like

:slight_smile: (15 characters :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

Some work is better than another, a good boss will make your life easier and healthier as it really reflects on how we think and perceive things around us, a good praise from your boss will certainly make you motivated to put in more efforts and try out your best and be innovative. A bad boss will make you like a clock ticking with seconds until time is over. But in both cases it is far better to be working than not to be. My life has changed entirely since I started, many things were wishes to me now they are given facts and I as well as every body noticed it. I therefore recommend everybody to try to work and I assure you that tasks accomplishment is easy and not miraculous to achieve given that we manage the work relations to the minimum. Thatā€™s life is all about get busy get rich or die trying. 50 cent quote.

Iā€™m working half time right now. Itā€™s not easy at all but my job is still manageable to me. Iā€™m helping out clerical work in an small office. I use scissors to cut and make small cards often. It takes focus and coordination that someone without our disability would find it difficult to understand. But Iā€™m getting better and better at cutting. Itā€™s like paper craft. Other part of my work requires a lot of switching attention. Sometimes I need to breathe in and tell myself to try harder.

I have been wanting to work for a few years before Iā€™m doing a half time/full time job. It would be really difficult when Iā€™m still taking abilify. With sulpiride Iā€™m much better now. So do consider an alternative if your drugs give u poor performance. And you need to take small steps to get results. Iā€™m working on the second job introduced by a vocational program. It is much easier than finding a job on my own.

1 Like

Aw thank you, thatā€™s very kind, made my day!

2 Likes

I canā€™t change medicines, but thank you!

1 Like

You are welcome. :wink:

1 Like