Poll: Are you overly sensitive to what your family says/does?

• Yes
  • No
  • Maybe
0 voters

https://psycnet.apa.org/record/1980-03396-001

In a study of 101 patients, relapse was significantly associated with critical comments, hostility, and emotional overinvolvement.

I would not say I’m overly sensitive to what they do say. But instead that I am very sensitive to what they do say.

I sort of think that’s normal though with family since family bonds run deep.

1 Like

I improved mental heath wise when I met wife in hospital . My father,at the time, was very much a ‘I’m the boss, so don’t cross me’ type of person . My mother something of a problem drinker, and prone to suggesting I was getting ill again if I didn’t agree with her. My sister then, and even now to some extent , resented the attention I got. The fact it was often very negative didn’t matter.

My mental health problems added to the things my parents used to say they were arguing with each other over.

1 Like

Family? What’s that? All I’ve known for the better part of the past 20 years are in-laws.

1 Like

Get on a low income/public housing waiting list now. You will be gone by the time you are 35. As someone who has superior executive function you must listen, as you are stewing in your own content @everhopeful its you that lives with the parents is it?

Yes I am overly sensitive with my family.

1 Like

I used to be very sensitive to what they say/do. Ever since 90% of them disowned me for being trans, I have learned not to put so much weight on their judgment of me. And, as a nice side bonus, the ones who still talk to me tend not to be the judgmental ones.

3 Likes

Sort of. I could be arsed over what any of the plonkers on my wife’s side say, but having to spend time with them winds up my symptoms. I don’t regard any of them as worth the suffering.

1 Like

I guess sometimes I’m overly sensitive with my family.

1 Like

I’m not sensitive to what my family says. What’s left of my family anyway. They are all dying off!

1 Like

I’m not at all sensitive to what they say or do. I’m done with that. I’m not dependent on them and would cut them out of my life if I needed to.

I think being dependent on your family is unhealthy and causes conflict.

1 Like

I have an easy time not caring about what people in general think of me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.