Please convert to the metric system

I use 0.1 mm wire for my wood burning tool. I drink tea. I drive on the left side of the road but the bobbies don’t like it. My favorite book is Sherlock Holmes.

Yes I know I’m a bad American

:grinning:

2 Likes

We cannot leave our brothers in Liberia alone as the last imperial system country in the world.

2 Likes

About the time we finally get everyone on metric, the Kzinti will win and those of us who aren’t eaten will have to switch to an octal system instead.

:flushed:

3 Likes

It’s too costly and too much trouble. I think the last big serious push to convert was in the seventies. Maybe eighties.

If you think about the enormity of changing from one system to another…it’s staggering.

2 Likes

Nah. In the long run, you’d save money. Space tech wouldn’t malfunction, for instance. You guys are just stubborn like InnerCircle pointed out. The rest of the world has converted to the metric. The only thing that’s different in the US is your mentality.

IDK. We are a large complicated society. The scope of converting every industry, every product, etc. seems too overwhelming. It just doesn’t seem practical. We tried; didn’t work.

1 Like

It’s honestly pretty insulting that you think the rest of the world only converted to metric because we live in simple societies. You’re not more complicated than the rest of us, nick. You’re just more stubborn and proud.

http://www.us-metric.org/going-metric-pays-off/

The US is not a special case. It just has a special mentality.

1 Like

I didn’t say you had simple societies. I’m just saying ours is more complicated. Like I said, we tried, didn’t work. I’m not going to read all that, and I am not going to waste energy defending us on this thread except to say that a country with three hundred million people who presently is the most powerful nation on earth may be a bit more complicated than maybe Switzerland or Somalia for example. I’m not putting any other country down when I say this. I’m not saying we are better but we are a world power who deals in millions or trillions of dollars coming in and out of the economy. Hell, it’s not my business to defend converting. I have nothing to do with it.

1 Like

I think your pride is really showing here, and it’s pretty obnoxious. There are larger societies than the US, larger economies, and more complicated cultures and places, all of which have successfully converted.

1 Like

You OK @anon9798425? You seem to have a bee in your bonnet.

Yawn, let the U.S.A bashing begin. And I think you are being way more obnoxious than me. If this subject bothers you, write a congressman, not me.

It’s just the US superiority attitude here that really gets to me.

Maybe it’s not that we feel superior, maybe it’s just that you feel inferior.

You stressed how much more complicated you are than all the rest of the world’s countries, that you’re the most powerful nation on the earth, and that you’re “a world power who deals in millions or trillions of dollars coming in and out of the economy”.

I don’t see how any of this is an argument against the economic benefits of converting. I do see how it fits nicely into the “USA is special and the rest of the world is inferior” story that some of you are pretty fond of. You don’t call yourselves the greatest nation on earth for nothing.

Your country would have been one of my absolute favorites if you didn’t seem to always look down on the rest of us.

I mentioned all that to back my statement that we are more complicated. We might just be dealing with more issues on a world stage than other countries. Would you sleep better tonight if I denounced the U.S.A. for not converting? I don’t see why I should do that. Like I said, we tried to convert, it ain’t practical. You’re attacking my country, I’m not attacking any other countries.

1 Like

No, I’m not attacking your country. Sorry if you felt that I was. I was pointing out that I feel the patriotic US superiority attitude coming from you, and that it sucks to be on the receiving end of this. It’s not that I just struggle with feelings of inferiority, like you suggested, it’s just that discussing things with people who feel they’re better than you is very frustrating.

I do think the imperial system is completely ridiculous, though. But this is all just a joke on that. It could be the Brits instead, only no one really cares about what the Brits do. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

The United States probably could convert to the metric system if they accepted how much more logical it is, but it is probably the feeling that they are somehow special that stops them from doing it.

1 Like

I like birds. They make sense. I wonder if non-bird life makes sense. Three licks and we’ll know.

:smiley:

2 Likes

Whatever. I’m sorry you have such hostility towards the U.S. but don’t take it out on me. I don’t make the policies here. The main point is that we tried converting and it didn’t work, for whatever reasons. No need to apologize to me. The facts speak for themselves.

1 Like

Isn’t it a little pitiful of you to jump on the bandwagon here with that statement? And you guys are talking about pride. Show some.

Instead of taking my choice of the word “attack” and basing your whole argument on it, lol.