Permanent facility for the disabled

My parents want to put me in a permanent facility with nurses. They know a shizophrenic guy who was put there by his parents.

I would personally try to avoid that if at all possible Aziz. I was put in a facility for like 6 months and it really sucked. It was out in the middle of nowhere and there was no wifi. I was bored as hell and couldn’t wait to get out.

But maybe you would like it, I can’t say for sure I guess. Idk.

4 Likes

Who put you there? I can’t live on my own so my parents will put me there once they get old, maybe before.

1 Like

I was in a hospital after my first psychotic break and told them they I did not want to live with my parents. And since I had lost my jobs and had no where to go they arranged for me to go to a facility for people with psychiatric/drug problems. Once I was there it took a long time for me to arrange to get out and go with my parents.

This was before I went on my trip out of state on foot and got picked up again and put in a hospital.

1 Like

Are your parents kicking you out?

1 Like

Not now, I don’t think they’re serious now but sometimes they want to. But I think they will only do it once they get old and can’t take care of me anymore.

1 Like

Isn’t it better than living in the streets?

1 Like

I suppose that it is better than living on the streets, but I absolutely hated it there. Almost everybody living there were trying to get out. Almost no one liked it.

Why aren’t you capable of living on your own Aziz? You are smart enough. I don’t know how much you can make on disability so I don’t know if you have the finances to live on your own but my personal experience is that it was not fun living in a facility.

3 Likes

Wishing you all the best my fellow Canadian.

1 Like

Couple of places I’ve lived there were several possiblities, depending mostly on income - obviously there’s a full hospital situation, but that’s probably prohibitively expensive nowadays, also typical nursing home type, also there are senior (but also for some disability-type situations) housing towers that have on-site nursing staff, my Grandmother was in that type and it was nice, autonomy but medical when you need it, each room has a pull cord for emergencies, pretty cool. There are probably other types in other areas, it’s been a while since I’ve looked at them myself, if you have a social worker or advocate you could ask them about what kind of housing is out there that would fit your needs

1 Like

Trust and believe, anything is better than being homeless with sza. Having to haul myself to Social Services every day for my meds wasn’t even the half of it.

2 Likes

Can’t you move to a group home? These are better the medical institutions. I live in a group home and here in England they aren’t bad. I still get full benefits. Have a large room, I share a house with 3 other people and these are not bad. I couldn’t live independently.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.