Performing spoken word poetry at an open mic tonight

Our class is going on another field trip to an open mic and I’m performing my favorite spoken word poem of mine in front of the crowd!!! Wish me luck and skill!! This is really going outside my comfort zone so yeah…

13 Likes

Wow this is a huge step! I’ll be there in spirit JJ. Good luck, I know you will do really well!

1 Like

Best of luck…!!!

1 Like

Best of luck :sunny: sounds exciting! You’re officially high functioning now. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I’m practically blending in with the normies if I go through with this well :scream:

Plz don’t confuse me for a normie and kick me off I love this board!

4 Likes

best of luck chew.

I remember, one time, the psych ward art staff was persuading patients do some karaoke. I was beguilled. super embarrasing with the Bob Marley song that I shamed. I can only imagine how embarrased I’d feel in front of an audience, reciting a poem I wrote; especially because my poems are about love.

1 Like

Wow, that’s awesome, good luck :smile:

:smile: Ahaha

2 Likes

This is the poem I’m performing

https://soundcloud.com/jonjames1/gotta-go-thru-hell-to-get-to-heaven?in=jonjames1/sets/strange-faces

but with no beat

You have to let us know how it goes! I’m especially curious about hoe you get through stage fright because I have it pretty badly when it comes to sharing stuff of mine, but I love spoken word :smile:
I’ve thought about sharing my poem, but it’s about racial injustice and I look white (I’m biracial) so I’m kinda afraid of someone saying I don’t know what I’m talking about or I can’t complain cause I grew up with white privilege

We went last week and I got a feel for it and it didn’t seem too intimidating. If you haven’t already , check out the open mics so you get a better understanding of what it’s all about…In person and all. And then it may not seem as intimidating. They’re usually pretty relaxed places I feel

And picture the audience in their underpants :blush:

1 Like

I’ve watched some videos on them, but all I can think about is how brave they all seem :sweat: I did two performances when I read a poem out loud (it was poetry out loud last year), but I got so nervous I almost started crying (also cause my dad had just sat in his car on a phone call and missed my performance). If I had done a poem I written, I would’ve either just cried or laugh like a maniac :confounded:

If I thought about people in their undies, I would’ve definitely laughed my way off the stage in the most awkwardest way :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been doing it for years. Don’t think I once got 10 likes though

1 Like

in high school, that never really worked out for me. imagining them in thick winter attire, like Eskimos, probably felt a little better.

1 Like

Aww daze if I could give you one SUPER like that gave you ten likes just like dat for your open mic post I would!

1 Like

Go get em chewy! :smiley:

1 Like

I did my poem. It was a different venue than anticipated so I didn’t do slam poetry but a non rhyming poem. Got a fair amount of compliments.

4 Likes