Perception issues with photos

Recently, I have taken more selfies, and I have sometimes encountered strange perception issues, while taking the photos, or while looking at them, later.

I am weirdly reminded of other people, not generally relatives, which would be more understandable, mostly.

Has anyone else experienced something like this?

An old story long before I became ill.

While going through my girlfriend’s stuff I found a photo of a guy who looked very much like me, but wasn’t me. When I asked her, she got angry and destroyed the photo, saying it was a former crush and nothing more.
I still wonder why she got so mad over a trifle. Also, what are the odds of someone meeting two unrelated guys who look the same?

Robert Smith of the Cure writes in the lyrics of “Fire in Cairo” that “Mirrors [are] the lonely place where I meet you.”

I don’t have schizophrenia but I have been psychotic, and I sometimes feel, when looking at myself, someone else not in the mirror but, on this side, the person looking.

Various psychologists (search for “Bakhtin” for a list on these forums) argue that we simulate an audience. Normally we are unaware of this, and that state may be preferable. I’d suggest you forget about it. It a normal everyone-one-has-one imaginary friend, pokemon or whatever. It is not the CIA, or a Truman show.

Tim

I wasn’t referring to anything like the Truman Show Delusion.

1 Like

When I was reading my diary, (which is a bit like looking at a selfie) and was suddenly aware that there was someone else there, it freaked me out so much that I felt I had to spend the rest of my life in Japan!

Retrospectively I think it was a kind of Truman thing, but I don’t call it a delusion.

I am glad your situation is different.

Tim

Perhaps a bit of face blindness or something like that?

1 Like

I don’t think so, but thank you for commenting.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.