People with intellectual disabilities are often not told about their medicines and their potential side effects

2 Likes

No doctor I ever had discussed side effects with me. Never.

4 Likes

Same here. They just told me to take cogentin to avoid side effects. Never brought up what they actually were.

3 Likes

Doctors probably look down on the intellectually disabled and think they are not aware of what’s happening due to their supposed lack of intellect. That’s not true at all. Some of them are smarter than you think and are very aware of the meds’ side effects.

1 Like

When I was really ill, they discussed things with my mom. I don’t remember if anyone told me anything; 2018 was kind of a bit of a blur.

1 Like

I’ve never had a psychiatrist tell me about side effects when putting me on a new medication.

3 Likes

I’ve only ever discussed med side effects with a pdoc if I brought up the issue first. It seems that they don’t believe we are capable of educating ourselves about meds and just assume we know nothing and want to keep it that way.

3 Likes

My son with down syndrome takes no meds.

1 Like

No doctor has initiated conversation about side effects and they have never told me you go through withdrawl

1 Like

I’ve been on meds since I was a kid and no doctor has ever told me about side effects when prescribing a med. I think most doctors leave that to the pharmacist.

1 Like

My doctor always warns me about the side effects. He always says to be aware so this way I can point out which medication is doing what.

1 Like

Im seeing a private psychiatrist so he explains the possible side effects and I get to choose which medication I take.

1 Like

Not only do they never mention side effects, they never mention negative or cognitive issues either.

1 Like

My pdoc always tells me the most likely side effects. I can figure the rest on my own.

I normally get a fact sheet with all the information on my med when I start a new one. I thought everyone in the UK got that???

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.