People are ignorant

So I was in my zoom class for abnormal psychology and this person literally asked this question I felt very overwhelmed after reading it

3 Likes

Yes, that is pretty ignorant. They obviously know next to nothing about Schizophrenia.

2 Likes

My book name for my Psychopathology class was Abnormal Psychology.

1 Like

There’s so much misinformation and general lack of information about this illness.

I believe Hollywood could be instrumental in changing people’s perceptions, however they’d much rather portray those with SZ and SZA in a negative light.

Whatever sells more movie tickets!

6 Likes

Yea ppl like action and violence so they portray all schizophrenics as violent eventhought under 20% are violent.

3 Likes

An education is a nice thing, if one can get one.

2 Likes

I was a psychology major. But even studying mental disease you kind of assume it’s not contagious. People don’t really know much about schizophrenia. Unless you took a class you don’t hear anything about it.

There is a new movie about scitzophrenic called words on a bathroom wall looks good not on DVD yet

1 Like

If im honest its not a wrong question to ask hopefully things have been clarified to him so he has a better understanding than he did before asking the question

1 Like

Yea I agree with you @anon80629714…better to ask then to remain ignorant isn’t it… Its just an innocent question

1 Like

Just say yep and lick their books…

2 Likes

I actually wondered if I could catch sz through sex and kissing so yea…I mean I guess no but I think extreme sometimes

Until I had sz I thought it meant you had multiple personalities. It’s just very misunderstood.

1 Like

I understand your viewpoint. Although for me, i personally don’t think it was just the ignorance behind the question but the way it was phrased as well. The question in itself also seemed like it came from a place of assumptions, rather than this person actually wanting to know. Not to mention it completely just caught me off guard since it is an upper level psychology course. All in all I just feel that the delivery of the question is a prime example of how a stigma starts.

2 Likes

Is alcoholism contagious?

1 Like

Jay

I agree with you. An education is a nice thing and it should be easily available.

1 Like

Interesting
Source?

That’s just stupid. How can someone be that ignorant?

For that reason I never tell people I have sza aside from family members. Usually I’ll just say I suffer from depression. Even that whole multiple personalities bit is tiring.

“About 11% of people in prison for homicide have schizophrenia and 21% have mood disorders.[ needs update ] Another study found about 8-10% of people with schizophrenia had committed a violent act in the past year compared to 2% of the general population.”