Schizophrenia.com

Peer Group Meeting

Planning on going to a peer group meeting. I say planning , because I’ve failed to go the past 2 weeks. I need to go though since I’m so isolated. If I can just hold one decent conversation I’ll consider it a success, since that’s so important to me. Knowing me I’ll probably draw a blank though and mutter something to myself the whole time I’m there.

Peer groups can be productive though I think. Is anyone else attending or attended a peer group meeting?

2 Likes

Good luck. Try not to put too much pressure on yourself about this. Try not to worry about what you are going to say and think of it in baby steps. First attend the meeting. Next time you can worry about what to say.

1 Like

I have been in an SZ group for a while. At first I didn’t know what to say, I didn’t have the flow of the conversation. I didn’t do so well. But little by little…

Even if you go and just get to meet someone and introduce yourself is a success. I hope you go and at least give it a shot. I’m rooting for you

1 Like

All you have to do is show up-the rest will take care of itself. I would love to get my son into a peer group!

1 Like

I’ve been to one a few times. When I was there which was a while ago it was kind of depressing, it was a group of maybe 5 and they just kind of wallowed. It wasn’t very productive for me but I’ve been invited and have been told they improved it and have been trying to bring sort of structure to it. Maybe I’ll try to go back. I think it would be good for me.
Hopefully if you go it helps. Good Luck!

1 Like

I went to the peer group meeting. It went about as good as I expected. I had some interaction, but not as much as the others. Told them I’ve been down lately and they gave me some numbers of the members I can call. Overall, I guess it was a success. I’ll be going back, at least I hope I do.

1 Like