Schizophrenia.com

Paying bills and finances

I’m not trying to be flippant. But paying bills sounds hard but it is one of those things that sounds harder than it really is. But open a checking account. They will give or sell you a checkbook. When a bill comes in, you read it carefully, write a check for whatever it is, stick the check in the envelope. They usually give you a self addressed envelope. If not buy a box of envelopes for a buck and a half. Anyway, seal the envelope and mail it. THAT’S how you pay a bill. Rent… You know how much your rent is. Once again… write a check for the amount and mail it in. If your landlord lives on the premises then knock on his door and hand him a check. Filling out checks is easy. Credit cards are a little trickier but use common sense. NEVER miss a payment. Simple rules for credit cards: pay off the full amount of at the end of EVERY month. If you can’t learn to use a credit card correctly than cancel it. No shame in that. Half of America owes an average of $10,000 on their credit card. So you see not everyone can handle having a credit card. But there’s nothing mysterious about paying bills. Once you learn it, it becomes second nature.What REALLY makes taking care of finances easy is doing everything online. I’m talking,banking and credit cards. If you have a checking account you can do online banking. Two great things about online banking. First: you can set up automatic bill pay. You can have EVERY bill automatically deducted from yuor bank account each month. You don’t have to do anything.It deducts it at the same time every month.You can pay cable this way, Internet, phone, etc. Second: you can visit the banks website 24-7 and instantly see how much money you have in the bank.

2 Likes

Be careful! If you mail a check people can wash out the recipient’s name and put their own and steal your money. They like to steal mail out of mail boxes.

I learned how to pay bills and manage finances when I was 13. My mom left us, and my dad was a truck driver and never home. So I took over the family finances. I had to, there was no choice.

That experience definitely helped me through schizophrenia. It was one skill that I remained independent in. And I’m very thankful for that.

Blessings,

Anthony

1 Like

It happens, sure, but how common is it?

I saw someone trying to go through my parents mail box not even a month ago.

OK. But still, I think mailing a check is generally safe.

i’ve always been good with paying bills. i had to b as my husband was crap at it.

To add a bit: you can file your own taxes for free https://turbotax.intuit.com/

Yeah, I just filed my taxes with them a couple days ago. They guide you through the process step by step. It’s free and easy.

I have a lot to learn on this. My sis bought me a finance journal yesterday after I told her this was a skill I was lacking and it was really bothering me. It has a place for receipts and expenses. She did sit down with me and show me how to get into my account online. I didn’t know we have a joint account for rent and electricity and internet.

I never had a chance to learn how to handle money. My parents were very afraid to give me money for anything due to their well founded fear that I would spend every penny on drugs and alcohol. I did.
They would pay me by taking care of rent or buying food.

About the time most people were learning how to manage their checking account, I was learning how to get up and take a bath again. I just have to learn how to do this. I will do this. I am open to learning it.

I find a lot of stuff for me is… I see stuff as just huge. It’s just huge and where to you make that first bite? How in the world do you make a start. Well, my sis has been showing me how to make that start.

Once I start, I’ll keep going.

1 Like

You take the first bite by nibbling off the bacon sticking out the side.

1 Like

“The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step”.
Good luck, you have kidsister to walk you through it. You will do fine. Look at it this way: there’s many hours in a month. There’s 24 hours in a day. Paying a bill takes 10 or 15 minutes, or even less. I’m sure you can do something that involves a few minutes a month. And it’s like cooking. The more you do it, the easier it becomes. When I got my first checking account back in 1983 everybody was trying to teach me to balance my checkbook. My family tried to teach me, counselors tried to teach me. I just never got the hang of it. So I gave up. Now, with online banking, I don’t need to ever learn. With online banking, I can go to my account whenever I want and I can do all my business with a touch of a button and see all my information and activity.

1 Like

Ever since I got out on my own, I’ve done very well with paying bills. I keep a budget in Microsoft Excel to keep up with my bills and what not.