Patients With Schizophrenia Lack Sufficient Dopamine in Brain

MedicalResearch: What is the background for this study?

Dr. Slifstein: There has been considerable basic and clinical neuroscience research showing that the neurotransmitter dopamine plays a role in tuning cognitive processes taking place in the cortex. It has long been thought that dopamine is involved in the cognitive difficulties experienced by patients with schizophrenia, but it has been challenging to study dopamine in the cortex and other parts of the brain except in a deep structure rich in this neurotransmitter and its receptors, the striatum. In our study, we used an experimental design with Positron Emission Tomography (PET) imaging that allowed us to infer the amount of dopamine in the cortex.

MedicalResearch: What are the main findings?

Dr. Slifstein: The main findings are that patients with schizophrenia do not have enough dopamine in the cortex, which may cause the cortex to function suboptimally. Because dopamine fine tunes the signal to noise ratio and affects the manner in which the cortex processes information, deficits are likely to lead to difficulties in this function.

http://medicalresearch.com/mental-health-research/schizophrenia/patients-with-schizophrenia-lack-sufficient-dopamine-in-brain/11324/

1 Like

This kind of goes against what others say about dopamine, they say we have to much. Interesting to see a counter argument.

Really I don’t think effing with the chemicals will ever really cute it. Too much dopamine to little. They have no idea. I will say that bring on a high dose of dopamine antagonists will completely ruin your ability to live. Sometimes it’s better to just live with the symptoms.

1 Like

Every one express their theory in hope that in the feature once the cause of schizophrenia found and cured, they would remain in history as one of the first finders…

And we, we just get confuse.

1 Like

i think the brain is all about wanting to continually reach homeostasis. , alter 1 chemical it wants to compensate for the other.

1 Like