Paranoia, so tired of it

Is there anything that alleviates paranoia? I have tried many meds…I almost feel like paranoia is an integral part of my makeup at this point like a garden so over run with weeds that there arent anymore flowers.

1 Like

The meds only put you into a position where you have the insight to recognize paranoia for what it is. Getting out of the habit of being paranoid takes therapy, and lots of it. You have to train your brain in more positive directions. Paging @notmoses.

Pixel.

I’ve never had therapy for mental illness, only grief counseling.

@velociraptor 's suggestion is accurate for those who are effectively medicated.

So… bagging the following from my usual “welcome statement”…

1. Get properly diagnosed by a board-certified psychopharmacologist who specializes in the psychotic disorders. One can find them at…
    Find Top Psychiatrists by State. and Find Psychiatrists, Psychiatric Nurses - Psychology Today
  2. Work with that “psychiatrist” (or “p-doc”) to develop a medication formula that stabilizes their symptoms sufficiently so that they can tackle the psychotherapy that will disentangle their thinking.
  3. The best of the psychotherapies for that currently include…
    DBT – What is Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)? – Behavioral Tech
    MBSR – http://www.mindfullivingprograms.com/whatMBSR.php
    MBCT - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22340145
    ACT – ACT | Association for Contextual Behavioral Science
    10 StEP – Pair A Docks: The 10 StEPs of Emotion Processing
  4. the even newer somatic psychotherapies like…
    MBBT – An Introduction to Mind-Body Bridging & the I-System – New Harbinger Publications, Inc
    SEPT – Somatic experiencing - Wikipedia
    SMPT – Sensorimotor psychotherapy - Wikipedia
  5. or standard CBTs, like…
    REBT – Rational emotive behavior therapy - Wikipedia
    Schematherapy – Schema therapy - Wikipedia
    Learned Optimism – Learned optimism - Wikipedia
    Standard CBT – Psychotherapy | NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness & scroll down

Thankyou, I’m going to talk to my doc about therapy.

2 Likes

It probably not mentioned often, but I have an ESA (Emotional Support Animal) that helps me with the paranoia, it’s not hard to get an ESA, really it can be any animal, a cat a dog, I’ve even seen someone with a rabbit for an ESA. You do have to get them certified for it to bring them into certain businesses, my Luna’s registry cost me about $180(American).

The way my dog helps is that she is a better judge of people than me, if she acts friendly towards someone I know they are safe, if she growls,(which is actually quite rare) then I act polite but try to break off any convo with them quickly. I am a huge advocate for using Shelter animals for ESA, especially the ones that have a disability or have had a rough past, The best ESA’s in my opinion? Neglected Pitbulls. You find the right one and they will always be your best friend.

If you want more info just let me know, I work with a dog rescue that helps people find animals like this.

1 Like

Thankyou, I think right now I’m not really in the position to adopt a pet but I will keep this in mind for future reference.