Paperwork for Real ID

Does anyone know how picky they are. Motor Vehicles says your name has to match on all documents.

I’m using my passport card, Medicare card, Social Security card, phone bill, and bank statement. The passport and SS card have my middle name. The Medicare card, phone bill, and bank statement just have my middle initial.

Is this going to cause a problem?

I had to get one of those, too. That’s a fabulous question, and yes, they ARE picky.
In my state, I had to have identification from different categories, and they only require one from each category. You might be able to substitute within that specific category to one matches the others.
A fail safe would be to bring your birth certificate (if you have it), and that should suffice in that category. I’m assuming it has your middle name. Also, if you have a previous license to drive in your state, that makes it easier, too.

At the end, call the DMV and ask. You may have to go back a second time with more proof, worst case scenario. Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks Sue_Bee. This looks like it’s really going to be a pain. We are supposed to have it done by October 2021.

Yep. We had ours due 2020. (Covid extended the deadline)

The reason they do this is because I live in one of the, like 17 states that distributes drivers licenses to non citizens. It is a pain.

Idk your gender, but if you’re female AND married or divorced, you have to bring proof of all that too, because of name changes.

1 Like

You should be good with a middle initial vs middle name, I think. I have a similar situation with my IDs

2 Likes

I don’t think it will be an issue.

1 Like

I hear that if it’s just so you can travel/ drive, and are not using it for federal purposes, your passport will still suffice, depending on the facility.

Like getting on a plane.

1 Like

Thanks @Sue_Bee @Moonbeam @Ninjastar

2 Likes

True. I might just have to keep my non-Real ID and passport card. You have to have a Real ID to get in a Federal building. It was pretty easy getting the passport card. Just had my photo taken at the pharmacy and went to the Post Office. I didn’t wait long.

Unless you have to serve on a jury, or enter a federal building for any other reason…

It should be okay. Don’t stress, but be prepared for them to be cranky.

1 Like

I haven’t heard about jury duty.

I really have no problems with that. I go by “Nick” or “Nicholas” and I use either name at random without problems on all kinds of documents… The exception is when they specifically require my full name but that rarely happens.

1 Like

… see the FAQs on the Dept. Of Homeland Security website. Your state might be different… and I could be mistaken. Good to check.

1 Like

This is only for states that require a “Real ID.”

2 Likes

Likely not an issue so long as the middle names and initials match.

2 Likes

I hope so. I’m going to call tomorrow and ask.

2 Likes

I’m going to check and see if it’s required in Arkansas.

I just don’t like showing my birth certificate. It shows my mom’s residence as The State Hospital.

I’m a guy. No name changes.

1 Like

Homeland security is dhs.gov. You should be able to navigate from there to real ID FAQs.

And calling your DMV is wise.

You’ll be okay. :slight_smile:

2 Likes