Ownership and Neglect

One of my worst habits is self-neglect when my emotional / psychological state is getting out of control.

Tonight I thought, what if I got rid of the idea that I own this body?

I don’t own it. I inhabit it. I wear it like a rented suit. I don’t like it, but I have no choice; it’s the only one I can afford, and it has to last the rest of my life. I have no right to damage it because I will one day have to return it.

And if I want to live to a ripe old age… which I kind of do… “using” this suit for a long time, then I should take good care of it, right? I should try to ensure it’s in good shape, and well maintained, and looking good. I should make it something to be proud of, rather than an embarrassing necessity.

It’s not mine; it will, eventually, be discarded – but until then I should attempt to improve it as much as possible. Otherwise I’m not treating it honorably and I might not be able to get another one.

What do you think?

2 Likes

Cesar Vallejo: Morning has come, put on your body.

I think I disagree. It’s your body. God gave it to you or evolution gave it to you. Either way, it’s all yours to do what you want with it and treat it anyway you want. Who’s body could it be besides your own? Your mother and father created you, you will live your life with this body then when you’re dead it will be cremated or rot in the ground. It’s very esoteric to muse that it’s not your body but the reality is: It’s your body, it always was your body, and it will always be your body and no one elses.

I’ve had similar thoughts. But in a way our whole life is a gift. It’s not just the body, it’s how you treat this world and everything in it that you have been given to play with and learn in. Having respect for that is admirable, I think. Too many people treat it with abuse and contempt.

I think they should have more advanced anatomy classes in the grade school years. This one professor I listened to on the subject was so enthralled with the amazing features of the human body that it gave me more respect for my own, and when I actually think about it is really not my own to do with what I will because everyone else is somewhat dependent on our taking care of it to the extent that it does not become a danger to others. Like driving while impaired is a violation of others rights to drive on safer streets. I did not even know where our kidneys were located and how they work before taking that college course.