Overcoming hopelessness

Nick Vujicic was born in Australia to a Serbian immigrant family, with a rare disorder characterized by the absence of all four limbs. Most of his childhood he struggled with depression, and after a suicide attempt he decided to concentrate on what he did have instead on what he didn’t. He realized that his life story inspires many people.

5 Likes

I don’t know, but I think that, depression over life circumstances is different from ‘clinical depression’ for which there is no determined cause +which responds to medication.

The message I find in Nick’s story is about finding your peace, and making your walls become doors; that message of overcoming obstacles can be applied to recovery in my opinion.

2 Likes

Yeah, clinical depression is usually stated to be caused by not being shown love by one’s parents. Nick repeated many times how much his parents showed their love to him. So we search and take pills.

They say, I think clinical depression was the chemicals being out of kilter. I take the pills - it goes away and I can go about my everyday life… I leave them off it comes back.

I think this is true sometimes

That’s happened in areas of my own life, although not by conscious decision.

For me,working out and playing football gives me hope.I can be with people with similiar interest when playing football

4 Likes

Yeah working for me has put a bit more structure in to my life.

Kinda a reference point that I didn’t have before.

1 Like

Hope is your only choice.

There is something from Nick’s message that I think you may want to consider. Even though mental illness can be treated successfully with medication, I do believe that for many of us there are still other challenges as we try to recover. Overcoming past hurts, low self esteem, or other obstacles that are part of the human condition and not directly the result of a chemical imbalance, are things that may only be possible to overcome by changing our perspective.

For me, that part of my personal recovery, has been a matter of being able to truly forgive my past; forgiveness not in a light fluffy cliche of a concept, but a true real letting go of the intense anger and pain that those memories were causing me.

Do you think that it’s possible that part of your recovery might entail you letting go of the bitterness and pessimism that been haunting you for so long?

4 Likes