[Opinion] Hacks and fakes. The real elephant in the room

I can’t imagine faking a disability for SSDI. I only get $760 per month and approximately $150 per month goes to my health insurance. No way is it worth it to fake disability for that small of an income.

3 Likes

The only people who would fake this type of disability, probably wouldn’t be able to make much money working anyway, so they obviously have some type of disability. You lose a lot of money, going on disability.

2 Likes

I also had to wait until I ran out of money. Then, the income kicked in. That took several months because I had a bit saved up.

Now I make so much I can donate to charities/organizations.

2 Likes

What part of the world are you in, if you don’t mind my asking. The rents are about the same here in canada, at least in this area. I have no idea how long the wait list is for Government Assisted housing, but I’m sure it’s lengthy here as well

1 Like

I had disability in the past. It was not enough money to live on without constantly having to beg local charities to make up the difference. Maybe it’s better in some countries, but disability in my part of Canada puts you below the subsistence level. It boggles my mind that there are people who willingly seek out this miserable lifestyle.

2 Likes

There used to be. But disbility hasn’t kept up with inflation. In the 80s you could live off it. 90s, you could but it was difficult. Now? LOL

3 Likes

Not where I live without hitting the food bank and Salvation Army up every single month, and that’s living in a hovel with two roomies. That was the 90s. It is definitely worse now. I think they’re hoping disabled people will commit suicide out of desperation/despair.

1 Like

It’s a hot button topic for some people for sure. My buddy gets so worked up about it, he’s frothing at the mouth over people faking it with the system. I just calmly remind him that the social safety net is a necessity, not everyone is a fake

4 Likes

I think it’s easy to say that everyone who’s unemployed, on welfare, on disability is a scrounger. I know people who claim that but so disagree.

2 Likes

Yeah same here, some people just are fully skeptical. But of course, they’re seeing things from a safe distance. Up close and personal there are people who are clearly disabled, and need the help.

2 Likes

My mind cracked from isolation while I was in the military. Lack of family and depression kicked in when my dad called me on my birthday and asked why I don’t call. I went manic for the first time 3 days later and eventually was diagnosed with schizophrenia as well.

I get a lot of money from my veterans disability and I also double dip and have social security when I found out that I could from a fellow disabled vet. I found that once you go manic it’s nearly impossible to manage money(at least for me and my sister as examples). I get something like 50k a year but have a fiduciary because I can’t manage my money and would ask my parents for money every month even though I was getting 3k a month.

I only see about 1k a month which is a lot and still am broke every Monday after I get paid on sundays. I don’t want to be on disability and be an honest working person but just feel I can’t and feel really bad that I’m on government money.

I don’t mind if someone lies and steals, as karma is a real thing and my opinion and it will come back to bite them down the road. Stolen glory of the military members gets me more than stolen benefits.

1 Like

You shouldn’t feel bad. If your health prevents you from working then you are entitled to the benefits. I felt guilt back when I was on them in the past and I shouldn’t have because it was what I needed at that time. Maybe you’ll find your way off them someday - there is always hope. Welcome to the community and also, thank you for your service!

:blush:

1 Like

My non-24 sleep disorder makes working an impossibility. I got approved quickly. SZ is just the icing on the cake. I try to contribute to society in other ways like open source projects. Also trying to start an indie game studio so I can get off benefits. Pretty hard with negatives though.

2 Likes